Grease Guns

hurricane

Anyone have particular brand or model grease gun they like. I've only owned the standard ones you get from the auto parts store and they s@ck. Tough to get the grease flowing, hard to squeeze and slippery as hell. Maybe thats just how it is with all grease guns, but if someone has a better option please let me know. 

Nothing special about mine, standard spring loaded...holds grease cartridge, it does get slippery when handling. Works on buddy bearings, outboard motor grease fittings around trim and tilt motor, tie rod ends on jeep, universal joints, etc.

It's  about 15 years old but works great. 

IMG_1595.JPG

I like this style because I can pump with one hand and hold the end on with the other one. But, they're all slick after a little grease contact. I wipe mine down with gas on a rag to keep it clean and slip free, but that's me. 

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/45433315?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Lubricants%2C+Coolants+%26+Fluids+-+PLA_sbn0iYJHH___164110813911_t_S&mkwid=sbn0iYJHH|dt&pcrid=164110813911&rd=k&product_id=45433315&gclid=CMjQmdXfhNUCFViewAod7yUOTA

Thanks guys. I looked through the mscdirect webpage BradM posted, they have a bunch of options. I like this one it will be great for the trailer, but might not work on some of the motor fittings. Thats ok though, the one I have now has a flexible hose and I can use that one just for the motor. 

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/82402884

Well, while we are talking grease guns, I always have a problem with mine leaking liquid grease from the end with the "T" handle. If I don't use the gun for a month or so, then pick it up, liquid grease (viscosity similar to motor oil) drips out the end. It's like some of the grease melts and turns into liquid. Makes a F@%&#@! mess. Is there any solution?

It's called bleed rate.  Some greases lose  oil when they are under pressure.  My favorite grease has a high bleed rate and I have the same messy grease gun problem.

I do two things to reduce that problem, when I put my grease gun away, I cock the spring to reduce any pressure on the grease and then I store my grease gun in a plastic bag.

Archived