Proper trolling motor shaft length

HewesYourDaddy

My Pathfinder came with a 48" shaft trolling motor. It's doesn't work so I removed it and was planning to fix it, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's the correct shaft length. It's also a 72lb thrust. Am I ok with this length and thrust (sounds like something I should be whispering to my wife!) or should I have something different?

It will work in most situations if you keep the head down tight to the mount. If it's a hand control, you might have to install a steering arm so you don't have to lean over to adjust speed or steer. If it's a remote control type, then it will work unless you get into some swells (like fishing the surf or boat wakes).

I'd weigh the cost of repair compared to the cost of a new longer and stronger TM.

Ok, another question then about repairing the unit.  An new replacement head, handle, and control board runs about $170. I want to guarantee that the motor in the foot is not the issue.  I have the wires sticking out of the shaft coming from the electric motor. Can I just hook up the wires to my 24v source and see if the motor is good?

You can get the motor to spin with 12 volts..just for testing. 

On shaft length.....I went with the 60" thinking that I could always cut it down if necessary....if you fish mostly inside, on flats etc. the shorter shaft will work..but if you are out front of beaches tripletail or Tarpon fishing in some rollers, the longer shaft is necessary.

In other words: its always better to have a longer shaft......😎👍

Well, your present trolling motor is worth nothing on the market in it's present condition. If the motor tests ok and if you invest $170, then you could sell it for twice your investment if it turns out that it is too short. I'd test the motor on 24 volts, just to be sure everything is good to go.

I have a 48" on my 22 pathy, have not had any problems where I normally fish. in the gulf, have had it loose bite at times, no big deal. if had to replace I would go 54", 60 way to long for me. with the 48 I can still drop down about 3-4" if needed. tiller steer w/ext. handle on shaft.

Archived