Electrolysis of new boat lift

East Coast Dave

So I had my dock rebuilt after the hurricane and had two new lifts installed in February. I have been noticing that the aluminum l-beams are starting to pit. My buddy was telling me that I need to install a direct cut-off to eliminate and  random current that is causing it. Do any of you have a direct shut-off on your lifts?  I had a licensed electrician install and the city inspect it. An y other suggestions on what could be causing it?

A wise old yachtsman once told me that aluminum and stainless steel are at opposite ends of the galvanic table, and when you attach them and then mix in some electrical current and highly conductive sea water, you have the perfect recipe for galvanic action or corrosion.  I think about that when I look at my high-dollar aluminum boat trailer which is held together with all that stainless hardware.  Anyway, the direct power cutoff sounds like a good idea.  Here's a link to an archived web page that covers corrosion pretty well, and has some tips to prevent corrosion as well:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150509111009/http://www.corrosionist.com:80/Galvanic_Corrosion.htm

Hope it helps.

I shut my lifts off with a switch in the house. Never had an issue even when I have the battery chargers plugged in. Shut offs are not a Volusia requirement but I sleep better at night knowing someone will have to cut the cables to get my boats off the lift. Seward Electric did my lifts.

3 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I shut my lifts off with a switch in the house. Never had an issue even when I have the battery chargers plugged in. Shut offs are not a Volusia requirement but I sleep better at night knowing someone will have to cut the cables to get my boats off the lift. Seward Electric did my lifts.

Sounds like a double good idea to me!

Yep gfi protected and I have the gem remote so the lift goes back up out of the water as soon as pull off. Both of my neighbors lifts look fine. I was thinking the same thing that it may have been from them.  I have to get it checked out.

Chuck,

Have you seen any shrimpers up your way? I was hoping we would start to see some 

I had a great time fishing docks this morning.  A keeper flounder, 4 keeper trout, and ton of small trout, 2 snook and jumped a small to med size tarpon that threw a mirrordine to and he went for it.  I guess the moon, stars and everything else was aligned. 

No shrimp yet. The commercial guys are up here every morning checking it out but they are gone by 9am. I'll let you know when the shrimping starts. Nice fish by the way. We are still grand kid sitting and cleaning up from our keys trip. We should be back on the water this week.

Does anyone near you have an under water fish light? If so I would be looking there for stray voltage.

Archived