* UPDATE - STILL LEAKING* Sea chest is leaking

justfish

On 7/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, fishmanjj said:

breakdown in the Quality Dept at Pathfinder....... this is about the forth boat recently that we have heard of with the same problem. I'll bet the assembler is still there today drilling holes with no drill stops on the bit. Unless someone from Pathfinder gets the message back to factory..........the bilge pumps  will run.

Yeah...I can't for the life of me figure out how there isn't something more substantial behind these screws not allowing them to go into bilge. 

I have an 18 LT and went through 3 plastic cheese graters and yes the screw holes would leak if there were no screws in them.  My cheese graters were braking and the way they were breaking I finally figured the chest was over pressuring the plastic grater and it would crack from the inside out (maybe why the previous owner of your boat had so much 5200).  I ran without the grater for awhile and livewell pumps flowed while off and running. I also cut last 1.5 to 2" off the back end of a 4th grater to release some of the pressure.  When the SS graters came out I put one on and never had any issues again.  The SS graters have much fewer holes than the old plastic ones.

Yes it looks like a much better design and should even fix the vapor locking issue a lot of these boats have until they get moving 

...But it's never that easy for me...I haven't gotten under boat yet to confirm which holes are off, but it appears they don't all line up from the old to the new for me. 

On 7/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, fin-addict said:

fish, did you find that the screws did go into the bilge, at first you said you did not see any. correct me if I'm wrong. thanks.

As soon as it stops raining I'll get under mine and check with a weed eater line like above and see what I find while I'm trying to figure out holes.

• 1 month later...

Well after much head scratching and attempted fixes, the sea chest repair was the one that fixed her!  After removing the screen, I cleaned out the screw holes, dried them with hair dryer, squirted Life Seal into each hole and replaced.  Next trip to the water, zero leaks!  Thank you to this forum for all the the shared knowledge and ideas!

20170802_182441.jpg

Update on this - 8 months later...been busy

STILL leaking

I ordered a stainless grate, cleaned area up and used a copious amount of 5200 and reinstalled new larger screws. One is stripped out so filled hole with more 5200 and “plugged” with the screw.  Let dry for a few weeks while I did other things 

Still taking on water so filled it back up and sure enough still leaking. Seems like the stripped hole is issue but it’s so hard to tell because I still can’t figure out where the holes are Actually coming into hull.

Any ideas? I am leaning toward marine Tex for the hole in question and redrilling it.  Would have done first time but didn’t realize it was stripped until everything was coated in 5200 and I was putting screws in.  Didn’t think it would be issue with the 5200 and def didn’t think one lil hole would leak so much  

This is a stupid design and needs to be changed if it hasn’t. 

76A9FABF-AD63-4E68-9862-FA9C70D78762.jpeg

8DE7C5CA-B9AE-47A7-8930-507FF843C6E8.jpeg

If your not sure I'd take it out and then dry it off really well and watch where the water is coming from when it comes out - could be that through hull. In the top photo it does look like the middle screw hole is dripping. 

I have noticed on mine it seems like there are some open cavities you cant get to. One time I noticed one of the screw holes on my transducer draining water when I was rinsing out the anchor locker. Thats behind that step in the bilge-  No clue how it was getting there but I know it was coming out HA!

Id verify that and then if it was the hole I would dry it out, rough it up and fill it with some Six10 Epoxy. You can get one of the small plastic syringes for medicine then fill it from the mixing spout off the six10  and then get all up in there. I might be slapped for this but you could then run it with 5 out of the 6 screws and see if there is any difference. If no water you got it fixed and you can put the screw back in. 

You can pick six10 up at west marine for the same price as marine tex. find it online (I last got for about $20) then bring that into west marine. Its really awesome stuff, mixes the ratio in the nozzle and is sealable and re-usable. 

By the way just ordered the cheese grater myself. Do the screw holes line up?

It’s leaking with screw in )the wollowed out hole) or  with screw out. It just needs to be filled....like I mentioned before, this is an odd design at best.  You can’t see the water coming in anywhere.  Anyone with a seachest should really get under there periodically and check it.  

I got some epoxy and filled the hole and thinking I’m gonna try the 5 outta 6 screws and see. Thanks for help, I’ll keep you updated  

And yes, the holes lined up on mine.  

Archived