Loose console help!!!

TarponTim

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before and repaired it. I have a 2001 22ft pathfinder and my console is loose and 1 of my t-top legs. The screws in the console look like they are in on 2 of the 3 sides but the side of the console where the t-top leg is all 3 pulled away. The t-top leg screws all are loose and maybe i just need longer screws not sure. Any suggestions ???

I have access in the console not sure if i can reach the t-top leg to put a backing plate on to screw into. I can try longer screws just not sure how long to use. I was going to try and secure the console down on the inside with starboard and maybe use 5200 around the outside once its secure. Not sure if that's the best option and on this site theres always great opinions and other options.

Mine came lose on my 2001, 1900v before I bought it. I looked at it and the previous owner had put a couple of lag bolts in place of the factory screws, which was still no good.

I ended up taking all of my stuff out from under to console and glassing my console down to the deck. I prepped all of the area that was going to receive glass mat and resin with 60 grit, and wiped clean w/ acetone, then got to work. My first layer was with light weight cloth, and only about 2" on the deck and up the console wall. I did this in effort to seal everything off before I got down on it with the serious stuff. After that I wet some chopped strand glass mat (I forget what weight, but go 'feel' it out and you'll see what's good for this type of repair) and applied that; about 5" up the console wall and whatever I could on the deck, I think there is an access area to the rigging compartment/fuel tank area, so I probably rolled it under there. I let that set up and then put on more of the same, but 3-4" up and down....then another hit about 2" up and down. It took a little time to cut out the cloth, but not too much. I did this project in less than 1/2 a day and was more than happy with the results. I didn't sand and gel coat it, hell, I didn't even paint it. I knocked the sharp edges off of the area, and ended up putting down a piece of 1" Coosa board down for my batteries (3 under the console). The rest is history and the console has budged since.

edit* Tape off the inside or outside of the joint (glass right over it if inside) or the resin can ooze out and onto the deck where you can see it. I also made a dam on the access door side at the floor so resin wouldn't ooze out of the drain holes from the console. Have fun!

I did back fill the old screw holes and blended them the best I could, which you can't tell unless you're down there looking for a problem.

3 hours ago, BradM said:

Mine came lose on my 2001, 1900v before I bought it. I looked at it and the previous owner had put a couple of lag bolts in place of the factory screws, which was still no good.

I ended up taking all of my stuff out from under to console and glassing my console down to the deck. I prepped all of the area that was going to receive glass mat and resin with 60 grit, and wiped clean w/ acetone, then got to work. My first layer was with light weight cloth, and only about 2" on the deck and up the console wall. I did this in effort to seal everything off before I got down on it with the serious stuff. After that I wet some chopped strand glass mat (I forget what weight, but go 'feel' it out and you'll see what's good for this type of repair) and applied that; about 5" up the console wall and whatever I could on the deck, I think there is an access area to the rigging compartment/fuel tank area, so I probably rolled it under there. I let that set up and then put on more of the same, but 3-4" up and down....then another hit about 2" up and down. It took a little time to cut out the cloth, but not too much. I did this project in less than 1/2 a day and was more than happy with the results. I didn't sand and gel coat it, hell, I didn't even paint it. I knocked the sharp edges off of the area, and ended up putting down a piece of 1" Coosa board down for my batteries (3 under the console). The rest is history and the console has budged since.

edit* Tape off the inside or outside of the joint (glass right over it if inside) or the resin can ooze out and onto the deck where you can see it. I also made a dam on the access door side at the floor so resin wouldn't ooze out of the drain holes from the console. Have fun!

I did back fill the old screw holes and blended them the best I could, which you can't tell unless you're down there looking for a problem.

This is the fix!! 

I had the same problem on my 04 22V. Tried Loctite but didn't last long. Tried going up a size on the screws and re-tapping the backing plate - didn't last. Thought about glassing the console to the boss but just removed all the screws, rocked the console back, and ran a wavy bead of 5200 around the boss. Put the console back down, put the screws back in (with the 5200 they had friction to hold them in place) and the console never moved again - even after 4 years of frequent use.

Could be a challenge if there was a need to remove the console in the future but expect low probability of that type of repair.

On 7/16/2017 at 7:54 AM, TarponTim said:

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before and repaired it. I have a 2001 22ft pathfinder and my console is loose and 1 of my t-top legs. The screws in the console look like they are in on 2 of the 3 sides but the side of the console where the t-top leg is all 3 pulled away. The t-top leg screws all are loose and maybe i just need longer screws not sure. Any suggestions ???

Bob at Inshore Marine can probably do the glass work recommended....he's an expert at glass repair...he did some incredible work on my 22 Pathy.

dc

Archived