2300 fuel tank

Magnum

How much usable fuel is in the 2300 HPS?  My brother and I ran offshore on Saturday and he ran out of gas about a mile from the dock.  When he filled up, it only took 51 gallons.  I just if that is consistent with what everyone else has experienced. 

Also, before any comments, we had plenty of gas to get home, just messed around too long once in the bay.  Wasn't a concern, we were running together, I ran to the house got a 5 gallon can and we continued to race back to the dock.

I haven't run mine out of fuel yet, most i have had to put in is 45 gal. When I run offshore I carry 2- 5 gallon Jerry cans in the front compartment.

I top back off once i burn off half a tank. Dont think I have ever needed them but its good piece of mind when your 30+ miles out ,

and you have to run around all the storms we have in the gulf this time of year.  Make sure you use new tanks with caps that don't leak.

There is actually room for three 5 gal poly jerry cans in that compartment if you think you need that much.

The first year I got my 23 I topped her off 3 times until the gas nozzle would click and gas pushed up.  This was in the keys and I wanted full tanks.  Each time the fuel flow was within a 1/2 gal of total top off and was just over 50 gal.  Now home I'm coming across the Chesapeake bay just after dark and I run out with the fuel flow meter saying I only used 53 gal.  Turns out the carbon filter EPA mandates won't let the last 8-10 gal in without clicking off from the extra pressure of the filter.  Takes 10 minutes of real slow fueling to get that last few gal in.   EPA trying to stop some vapors is causing fuel to be spilled in stations and in the water because of the back pressure and burping of the tank.  Skip told me about the problem of getting the last 8-10 gal in.  At first I thought it was the fuel pick up being short or something.  My gas gauge works perfect as well as my fuel flow meter.        

Sunstone - My brother talked to our dealer about it and he said the same thing.  Good info to know.  

ChrisB - I think I'm going to carry some cans next time to be safe.  10 to 15 extra gallons is good insurance.

Thanks

Archived