Yamaha F225 Fuel issue

Bayou J

2004 Yamaha F225 Started dying on me.  Runs fine and dies, pump primer and it starts and runs fine again.  I have replaced: Primer bulb (OEM), fuel line from "racor" filter to motor,  changed to Yamaha fuel water filter instead of racor, new filter in the engines' water separator bowl, the "F" shaped filter after the low pressure pump before the VST.  I pulled the fuel pickup in tank and checked its like new. Tank vent is all clear, the tank itself and fuel line from tank are 2-3 years old and also look like new & are clean.  Gas from tank is clean - clear, it is corn juice with treatment but has always run fine on this.  After doing all the above idled at dock over an hour, then ran it cruise & WOT for almost another hour, then had to no - wake back home for about a 30 minute stretch.  Thought I had it fixed but then it died while no-waking and again primed and it ran like new for 10-15 minutes and again died this time at cruise speed.   Seems to be happening only after motor is warmed up after running especially with gulf water temp.

I did not open the VST, (filter hadn't arrived) plus it runs so good before and after priming.  Which makes me think its starving for gas from tank to the VST high pressure since it runs good after manually primed.  My question is could it still be the VST filter?   Is this a vapor lock?  

I did all the above to avoid the $1,000+ shop bill, figured I'd throw a $100 at problem first.  Also I did check the low pressure pump & its working on & off at idle like it should (not sure about its pressure).    Thanks for any other ideas before I take it to a pro.   

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with slightly different symptoms some time ago and found the external fuel filter housing to be the issue.  It had corroded to the point where the filter gasket was not sealing adequately and allowing air to seep into the system.  I replaced the filter housing and made sure the new filter element was good and tight, and voila.

Good luck and I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

I may be out in left field, but I had a similar problem with my F40 Yamaha. I changed every fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. Changed the Racor. Changed the outer fuel filter and its cracked housing. Changed the outer fuel pump. Cleaned the fuel cooler (which was totally blocked with crud on the water side)...and still had the same problem. I finally broke down and changed the VST filter and that solved the problem. If you have the maintenance manual for your engine, it will guide you through the steps for removing the VST and changing the filter. There are also some decent U-Tube videos showing the same. Don't rely too much on what you see on U-Tube-there are some real boneheads doing engine maintenance on there.

Look into the  low  pressure  pumps that  pick up fuel from tank to the vst

They have a way of getting a weak diaphragm  and starve the vst. 

Fuel demand is low at idle and they can  keep  up but once you get going they starve the vst. 

When you pump the ball you are refilling the vst

• Like 1

Check your Anti-Siphon Valve at the tank....I've had the same problem on my F150 and 115 2 smoker with bad gas....

Also, detach the fuel line and blow a few bursts of air into the tank...this will be sure it's not something clogging the fuel pickup....take off the anti-siphon before you do this...

As well, be sure the housing on the RACOR filter is not leaking air..or that your fuel line hoses are not collapsing from the filter to the engine....if they are old and soft, they can collapse due to the fuel pump pulling a suction.

dc

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I ran from a portable tank, same result, runs for an hour idle thru WOT and it runs great then just quits. It quits at idle or at cruise.  Pump bulb and it runs perfect for a few minutes.  Then I went back and replaced the low pressure pump. Just when I thought it was fixed 1.5 hours running WOT & cruise & idling it quit again ... Pumped bulb and ran like new.... I'm taking it to a pro.  I still didn't tear into the VST, but it has to be issue filling up the VST not from VST thru injectors?  Otherwise why does pumping which fills the VST tank fix the problem?  At least I know it has to be something with heat and getting fuel into the VST.  I probably should tackle the VST, but boat's on a lift and VST bolted on from the back to a bracket that requires to undo a whole bunch of other brackets and electrics etc. just to get to it.  So off to a shop....Anyway thanks for the ideas will post whenever I get a fix...   

• 1 year later...

I have similar. good for short period at slow speed but no take off starves of fuel.pulled things apart and low pressure pump not running.i get no pwer to it. pulled pump off boat and tested with battery works fine. put back in and nothing. any idea?

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm glad I was able to find this forum.  I'm trying to figure out the fuel issue with my 2002 Yamaha 225 fourstroke.  Got it last year, ran great, around 500 total hours.  So far I only changed spark plugs and fuel filter, but that didn't do it.  It lacked power to get on plane.  Once on plane, it would be okay.  Dumped 2 cans of Seafoam (mixed opinions on this, I know) in the 77 gallon tank, and that did the trick for several long days.  Now the problem is back.  When it finally gets on plane, it starves out when I try to get to the top end of the throttle.  Friend with a smaller Yamaha fourstroke tells me he had this until he replaced the injectors, saying that took care of it.  Others tell me I'd be hasty to spend on new injectors till I know the problem.  I'll start by rigging a portable tank, then check primer bulb and front end fuel filter.  I have the detailed manual but I'm no mechanic.  Suggestions?  --Woodrow