Fuel leak 22T

Waterman18

Picked up a 2008 22t and to my dismay it has a fuel leak. First noticed it after topping off tank and though I'd just spilled some gas on deck and washed it into bilge. Cleaned up bilge really good with dawn and flushed it out ,repeated a few times and had no more evidence of gas in bilge but still had fuel odor which I thought was just permeation. Ran about 20 gallons out over 2 trips and still no evidence of any gas in bilge. (Still Oder though). Added 10 gallons today and when got home checked bilge and sure enough strong raw gas smell and a small amount of gas in bilge. Have accessed tank top and does not seem to be any leakage in sender or hose fittings also accessed fuel fill fitting and seems ok. Also vent escape seems dry. My guess is fill hose has leak but could it be tank itself? Anyone replaced their fill and vent hose before. Very frustrating after buying a new to me boat. 

If you just purchased the boat what kind of condition is the spin off filter in? Mine developed a small pin hole in it and would leak just enough to be noticeable in the bilge but it didn't effect performance.  The fuel would be in the area under the filter though and not down by the bilge pump. 

You have to try to simulate the same conditions that occurred when you last used the boat. I'd remove every access you can, add gas to the same amount on your last outing, than trailer the boat around the neighborhood. Stop some place safe and look for raw gas in all the places you have access to. I'd check the fuel fill hose connections on top of the tank and at the fill neck. Check the fuel vent hose at the tank and at the vent on the side of the boat. Check the sending unit on top of the tank. Check the fuel supply hose on top of the tank and where it connects to the fuel filter. Is your fuel bulb under the deck or in the splash-well? If under the deck, check that also.

Does your fuel supply hose run inside the wiring chase or another route? Sometimes owners try to pull new wire or remove wire and depending on the method, this could cause damage to the fuel supply hose.

9 hours ago, localangler said:

If you just purchased the boat what kind of condition is the spin off filter in? Mine developed a small pin hole in it and would leak just enough to be noticeable in the bilge but it didn't effect performance.  The fuel would be in the area under the filter though and not down by the bilge pump. 

same here. drove me nuts and filter didn't have 80 hours on it.

Archived