Boat Trailer Layout...

73Hewes

I'm curious as to what you guys have found to be the best way to lay out your boat trailer.  I've got an old '73 Hewes Bonefisher with an EZ Loader trailer and it's about time to replace some of the hardware.  Currently, I have (2) 6-8 foot bunks in the back and three rollers with the front roller acting as the hit point.  It is a true PITA (especially in any current) to make perfect contact with this front roller.  I am considering putting two shorter front guide bunks (see attached photo).  Should these run inside the length of the trailer or would 2-4 ft bunks (located in the middle of the trailer) suffice ?  Just putting some feelers out there to see what you guys have found success with.  

trailer.thumb.png.2aa81a5b434ed7dfde1f3e1505910c5e.png

I have a 20ft LT 97 on an ez loader.  I have just bunks and 1 roller.  The boat loads very well.  Are you sure your bunks are set up to guide the boat so it sits correctly on the boat?  I don't have guide posts on this trailer ,but do on my Maverick which are great if you are dealing with a lot of current or wind.  I always launch by myself with both boats and don't have any problems.  Maybe strakes on the hull of the LT are better  set up to guide the  boat straight when loading. 

The guide bunks you are talking about should help if you are having that much trouble lining up boat . I would also look into guide posts which also lets you get the tail lighting out of the water to the top of the posts which is great.

The longer, the better. But, they don't have to run the total length of the trailer. You are limited by the number of cross members to attach the bunk brackets to. 6 or 8 feet should be just fine. They don't need to carry any load, just snug them up to the hull and your are fine. All you are looking for is something to catch the keel and guide it straight.

Archived