Minn Kota wiring help!

HewesYourDaddy

The minn kota that came on my Pathfinder had a dead motherboard. I bought the replacement board and control handle, but there is a difference in connections between boards. The power cable on the motor has 2pos/2neg wires and has provisions for plugging both into motherboard. The new board only has provisions for 1pos/1neg connection. Here is the link to pictures and my post asking for help over on THT. Help is greatly appreciated! I need to get this thing running so I can fish a tournament next weekend (it may be for sale afterwards. Looking for a longer shaft).

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/861844-minn-kota-wiring-help.html

Looks like the old board has the same number of connections as the new board. Two connections (+ & - ) from the batteries and two connections (+ & - ) to the motor.

In one pic, you are holding a plastic housing and it has 2 pos and 2 neg wires. Does these wires come from your batteries????

In the old days  of the 3 prong plugs it was not uncommon to have 2 different 12 volt pos lines going in. Don't  know where  or how but they were put into series to create  24 volts. 

Today's boards take in 24 volt and step it down to 12 volt to run various  functions such as the GPS and the motor to turn the shaft.

If the tm is real old it may turn into 24 volts at the motor much like a 220 pump motor. 

9 hours ago, hurricane said:

Have you verified all 4 wires go the battery,I bet you only 2 of them are connected to the battery. 

So you are suggesting that I check the voltage at the wires with the plug in the socket and use the one with voltage and just leave the other one unplugged. Would make sense.

Archived