Trolling Motor mounting Ideals

James Grissom

Hey Guy's : Do any of you have a manual steer  80 lb thrust M/K or M/G  60" to 62" shaft mounted on your master angler siimilar to mine it's a 1996 17 ft ? I just want to keep it simple , fewer gadgets fewer headaches more money for gas to fish . How sturdy are the quick release mount ? Or do you mount directly to the deck ? When the motor's removed , does the lower mount  if installed , become an obstacle ? With motor  mounted to the side of hatches,will it line up with center line of hull ? Or will it be offset to side ? Did you install support plate underneath ? And do you use a cooler or platform along with motor . If so is  the input handle a pain to reach ? ( I know  co pilot / I pilot)  just need to buy a ton of gear for grandkids. Any help with suggestions or pic's would be greatly appreciated.. .Oh the Minn Kota's handle pivots up ,is it fairly secure or does it become a problem with wear, Tkank you for your time & help 

I have the standard minn Kota quick release and it is plenty sturdy and doesn't have a large footprint when the motor is removed. 

Backing plate sure can't hurt, definitely make sure you at least use good washers.

I use the handle control when live baiting but find a foot switch such as the Bigfoot or TH marine one great for bass fishing/throwing artificials.

Ths guys ,  l have the same base plate as yours HewesYourDaddy but missing the 2 round pucks for the motor .I didn't know who made it .Thank you so much for the pic and web site. I removed it to repair a few holes and gel coat and bought nonskid mold to match pattern. Worked great, but color match a little off was planing to seadek side gunnels from bowl to stern. 6 to 10 mm along with two lg hatches (seating area) and set in front console . Will use underside support as SouthernWake confirmed..Nag Juice Love ur tag name..and It's my wife's initials been calling her that 38 years .and still loves to fish. Also that's a nice boat .Thanks Again. Now let's go fishing !!!

I used the standard quick  plate made by Minn kota,works just fine. My setup looks just like Nag Juice.  The problem with trying to fish from a casting plarform is the extension on the motor handle is only about 12in so you will be reaching down to adjust your course.  I just stand on the deck and cast,so it is not an issue. If I wanted to move around on the boat while casting you should consider a i pilot.

Too many buttons to push on an iPilot just to make adjustments on where you're going. Having to constantly feel around on the control pad or actually look at what button you need to press is a big issue to me when fishing. I will never again fish with an iPilot. Only thing I remotely liked was the spot lock after it got you in place, but it wandered all over before finding its proper stopping place. Messed up many fishing spots for me more than once.  I will stick with simply hand controls. Very easy to work. Tried and true. 

The boat came with a Wang anchor I love it simplicity .wind / tide swings boat ,so I bought 2nd  now can stake both on each side of transom or 1 front and back. Saves on weight  &  maintance of power poles .Plus very quite and 3 plus grand plus to spend on upgrading garmin ecomap 50 possibly chart plotter with  compatability to fla Map track . Do  I really need fish finder in shallow to skinny waters. May be stupid questions BUT there it is, Never used one! Always  sight fished from air boat.

Oh well , I going to need to be Schooled big time . Watched video on Florda Marine Tracks and read severial reviews . Look like it would be a good choise ,for someone not familiar with the area . But it's not compatible with the Garmin Eco map 50s I got as a gift. Was told I would need to by a blue chart g2 vision card  for keys and Everglades area . To improve the basic inland map it comes with.  I understand I'll still need to be really careful when running shallow areas. 

Archived