t-top or Bimini top

Owners opinions about tops for a 2200 Pathfinder (2001 model)

Which is better for sun & weather protection for a old geezer like myself?? 

I don't really need a top al the time, but after long hours in the sun or a sudden downpour some protection is nice.

Your replies as to your top type ( T or Bimini ) and source if possible as well as your horror stories, if any.

All replies are appreciated !!

Fin is correct :  that totally depends on $$ budget and % of time you will use the top. There are a lot of 22's out there with T tops or Bimini's........... you mentioned you don't need a top all the time, well: you can't lay the T top down when you don't need it......so a good Bimini top may fit your needs. The money difference is around $ 400 versus $4000 +. Personally, I have a Bimini because it suits my fishing needs better than a T top because I sight fish for tripletail and reds.......typically I'm standing on a 72 qt cooler  that sits between the leaning post and console, with another one on the bow for 2nd angler......two of us looking and ready to cast a fly or bait at the fish once spotted. When running or just cruising the Bimini can keep you out of sun and then lay down to fish, it's never been an issue.  

However: My boat is a 2009 and I probably would'nt modify it at this point...........but, if I was building a new boat:  a T top with an upper station is a perfect situation.......that way you have the convenience of T top and the ability to get up on it to sight fish and really see a long ways. There are a lot of PF forum members that can share pics of this arrangement. 

IMG_1570.JPG

Google "Shade Blade". I've had Biminis and they have so many obstacles when fishing. I didn't want a T-top because it's permanent. The shade blade comes in several sizes and shapes, is removable and is guaranteed to 50mph. Bought and installed one on my 23 and could not be happier.   

On 8/2/2017 at 8:45 AM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Google "Shade Blade". I've had Biminis and they have so many obstacles when fishing. I didn't want a T-top because it's permanent. The shade blade comes in several sizes and shapes, is removable and is guaranteed to 50mph. Bought and installed one on my 23 and could not be happier.   

Do you do you have a pic on the boat and website?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Below is the link for the Shade Blade. It is kind of expensive for an umbrella, but it provides plenty of shade. Mine is 8 sided and is 7' wide by 10' long. The center post comes about 6 ft. long and you just cut the pole down to the height you want. I have about 7 ft. clearance from the floor to the top. You can make the top slightly taller so you can still use the console mounted rod holders. I mostly fish with 8ft.- 6in. rods so they won't fit under the top, but my grouper rods are 6ft.- 6in and they will fit.

Another thing I like about the top is that I remove it in Oct. and store it in the garage till June.  It folds down just like a standard umbrella and stores in a canvas bag (weighs about 35 lbs.).

https://www.tuuci.com/collections/marine/shade-blade/

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a T-Top on my 2007  22' Pathfinder from day one and I've never looked back. It hasn't been a problem casting either spinning or fly. Maybe I've learned to compensate for the perceived problems. Having said that it won't give as much shade as a bimini, and it is permanent so if you have to go under low lying bridges it could be a problem depending on the tide. It will limit where you park your boat (garage,etc) but my boat is on a lift so not an issue.  The only thing I would change if I were to do it over again is get a fiberglass top because the canvas tops do wear and eventually leak an have to be replaced. If you can afford it the T-Top will give you years of trouble free service.

if you go with a T- Top, be sure and get one that is quadruple well mounted. with T- Tops, everyone hangs onto them while running. you may have 3-4 200 lb plus guys hanging onto it in a rough sea and that will really test the mounting hardware and the welds in high stress areas. i use a bimini because i have a low RR bridge to go under, if not, i'd go for a T - Top. bimini is a PITA to fish with.

Archived