Console rewire

SouthernWake

Looking to rewire or at least clean up the current birds nest in my console. What is the best way to mount a fuse box to the inside? My only idea is glue on a piece of star board and then mount it to that.

Additionally I always see neatly anchored zip ties, how do I mount those to the console walls as I don't believe it is thick enough to to screw into.

thank you 

I did this a couple times on my old RF18 and RF21. I took a piece of 1/2" starboard and drilled holes to match the location of the bolts holding in the rod holders on the side of the console. Then bought longer bolts for the rod holders and mounted the starboard with lock nuts and fender washers. No visible screws on the console, was thick enough to hold a screw for mounting equipment and zip ties, no messing with adhesive, and was removable for future modification or maintenance. Worked great.

IMG_0219_zpsxwmihwoa.jpg

35 minutes ago, HarleyG8r said:

I did this a couple times on my old RF18 and RF21. I took a piece of 1/2" starboard and drilled holes to match the location of the bolts holding in the rod holders on the side of the console. Then bought longer bolts for the rod holders and mounted the starboard with lock nuts and fender washers. No visible screws on the console, was thick enough to hold a screw for mounting equipment and zip ties, no messing with adhesive, and was removable for future modification or maintenance. Worked great.

IMG_0219_zpsxwmihwoa.jpg

Good idea! Thank you

On 8/6/2017 at 7:06 PM, SouthernWake said:

Looking to rewire or at least clean up the current birds nest in my console. What is the best way to mount a fuse box to the inside? My only idea is glue on a piece of star board and then mount it to that.

Additionally I always see neatly anchored zip ties, how do I mount those to the console walls as I don't believe it is thick enough to to screw into.

thank you 

You can use a product called PVC board...this board, unlike starboard, can be glued using epoxy.  Even if glued, I would still attach it with two small through bolt screws with finishing washers just in case....you would not want your entire electrical panel falling down due to a epoxy failure in rough seas.   The work above by Harley is very first class and well done....

Next winter, I'll probably re-do my MA 17 as it's 22 years old, but, this will take a few weeks to to properly...and I'll attack this during the cold windy days of december when fishing is slow....for now, I run it like I stole it :)

dc

Archived