Whatchamacallit?

whichwaysup

This is stupid.  I need to get that "thingy" that you mount on your poling platform that you can snap your push pole into so you don't have to hold it.  I thought Atwood made it, but for the life of me, I can't get anything like it to come up on my google searches.   What the heck is the thing called?

THoughts on this style?  Pretty big, but removable.  I have a vertical mount on my platform for my push pole that allows me to use it like a wang anchor, and it would be nice to have this mount be able to hold it vertically while drifting between stake outs.  Anyone do business with this company?  Can't find prices anywhere.

http://www.shallowwatersolutions.com/clamp-on#Previous

pphb2.47112134_std.JPG

15 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

THoughts on this style?  Pretty big, but removable.  I have a vertical mount on my platform for my push pole that allows me to use it like a wang anchor, and it would be nice to have this mount be able to hold it vertically while drifting between stake outs.  Anyone do business with this company?  Can't find prices anywhere.

http://www.shallowwatersolutions.com/clamp-on#Previous

pphb2.47112134_std.JPG

Doesn't look too secure.  Looks like the unit isn't designed to secure to pipe that large.  

Actually the Pole Cat Third Hand is what I had, matched the push pole I had from Pole Cat. Only complaint was it would squeak when moving with the pole in it, and yes it was loud enough to scare bonefish. A little grease with a q-tip helped, however  you had to stay on it. Being a cheap bastard I made a replacement out of pvc and starboard just like it after I knocked the original one off the poling platform.....don't ask how I did that.  

I actually just checked my push pole diameter against some thick gauge PVC I have.  Given what I'm trying to accomplish, I think I'm going to build out a home remedy for now.  The inner diameter of the PVC is almost exactly the outer diameter of the pole, so if I can find some rubber cushions for the pvc, I should be able to create the right amount of tension.  Will post up pics if I can pull this together.  There is already a hole in the poling platform right where I need it, so should be able to test it without any new holes.

How often does all of THAT line up randomly?  I'm going to go play the lottery.

I made one years ago when I had my old boat.  It was a very simple to do and worked well.  I used a thin sheet of plastic and cut to about the size I wanted.  Then just added some heat to form it around the push pole.  The top was a little pinched in to hole the pole in place and it had a small flair so it pushed in easy.  Easy peasy.  I will say while it did work well for holding the pole on the hip it is still a good idea to have a holder on the platform itself.  Going up and down the platform or fighting a fish with a 20'+ pole on your side can make for some fun.

Archived