Learning The Ropes

James Grissom

Im new to this type of fishing , so I could use some advice on shallow water ediquette . When setting up a drift or poling a bank ? Also when others pullup where your already poling or working a mud or school .I would much rather show ignorance here , than ruining someone spot or day . Also what is best way to run past another boat that's staked or poling ,when water depth is a issue preventing a wide berth . Any susgestions greater appreciated.

In South Georgia :  When others pull up to you while you are poling or working a school of fish ; pull out the .45 acp and fire about three rounds into the water, you will not see them again. 

We always say ...if you can read their registration numbers...they are too close. And you use the same rule of thumb if you are approaching another boat fishing a bank.....

Well dont have 45 cal, yet ! And state park won't let me use my Rem,338 squirrel riflei in the park boundaries  .Fishing a lot like hunting. And when stalking on public land , sometimes people come across each other's path , low tides useally increases chances and sometimes  the distance one can respectfully keep when passing. But then what do I know I'm the Newbe and that's why I'm asking  .loved your reply Thanks

Ahhh, how I love all of my .45's..... especially my custom, hand fitted 1911. JJ is right - if you can read th registration #, you're too close. If you're in a confined fishing area, then rule of thumb we use is to not get within a very long casting distance from the other boat.  Trust me, you will know how close that is when corks and jig heads start flying at you.  If you appreciate your gel coat, stay back.  And no matter where I'm running, if I feel my wake will rock a boat at anchor, staked out, or poling, I will ALWAYS idle past the other boat.  Common courtesy.  I expect same from others. 

If you think you're "that guy" you probably are. Reg numbers are a good rule of thumb. In NC etiquette doesn't exist. The Sea Hunt/jet ski/ Jon yacht will blast past you at 5 yards and wave like they're oblivious. I always slow down when passing or find another spot if it gets crowded. 

Archived