Electric Poltergeist?

Drummer

Got a couple strange electrical bugaboos on the Hewes, wonder if anybody has had similar and knows how to resolve. 2000 Yamaha 130 VRO.  

Number one: the console tilt/trim switch works intermittently. Today, with the boat on the trailer, it will tilt up if the engine is turned as if going to starboard. If I turn toward port, at about center, the tilt stops working. It will not tilt down at all from this switch at the moment. The engine side-mounted trim/tilt switch works all the time thus far. Oddly, sometimes the console switch works great. I suspect an open circuit somewhere but don't know where to start. I have jiggled wires all over the place, particularly to/from the switch, no luck. 

Number two: the oil alarm goes off sometimes when starting the boat, generally after having been stopped for a while, either tilted or not. All three bars flashing. Plenty of oil. Oil pump works as does emergency switch. I have changed the screen below the reservoir and the filter/sensor on the engine oil tank. Sometimes, if I put the engine in reverse, the alarm stops, but not always. In every case, in several seconds the alarm and flashing bars stop. Puzzling. 

I wonder if the Trim Gauge could be the culprit on both. It is wired to the alarm according to the schematic...  

All help appreciated. 

Very Carefully inspect the wiring harness where it enters the engine. Over time the working of the wires at that point from turning the engines "hint" will wear through and eventually break. The oil alarm and function wires are a flat conductor wire and I have seen them fail at the point mentioned.

The wires that go through there are pinned down with a couple of bolts and a tab to hold the wires in place. That is where they rub through.

Of course, there is a million other things it could be.

The console trim switch and the trim switch on the motor are two different animals. They both intersect under the cowling near the trim relays, but only one is exposed to damage and that would be the trim wires coming from the console. I think Capt. Troy is right, the damaged wire is somewhere between where the wiring harness exits the splash well and the point where the harness enters the motor housing. Simple solution for that is to pull new wires from the trim relays to the console. That might also remedy the oil alarm problem.

Archived