Keelguard on a HPX 17

FL-Dave

Does anyone have any experience with keelguard on the

hpx 17 v ? The question I have is about the ridge on the front at the waterline.  Should I start the application right below the ridge or above it ?  I'm thinking below the ridge but I'm open for suggestions.

I am not sure what the stem line of your boat looks like but...  You want to start the Keelguard above (high enough, perhaps 10", instructions will indicate a generic location) where the waterline is on the leading edge, depending on the length it'll then go back to about the point where the stem starts to flatten out into the running surface.  So when you beach, the leading edge will be well above the impacted surface and the trailing edge will still protect the "V" of your bow transition then aft to the keel area.  That is the lowest part of your hull surface right?

I never tried but I would bet a meaningful amount of money that theres no way a keel guard is going to bend/stay bent and adhered to the hull at those angles. If you must install a keel guard and you want it above the chine I'd cut it in two pieces, of course then a part of the chine is exposed so I guess that defeats the purpose. 

Here's my approach... don't look under there every time you wash the boat! Unless you're one of these crazy fire fighters (I say this with the utmost affection and respect:)) that waxes the bottom of the hull there's really no point. At the end of the day it's just a boat and anything that happens to it can be fixed relatively easy. Don't get me wrong I take very good care of my boat, it stays inside, in air conditioning, and mechanically I'd put it up against any other boat out there. But I personally can't be bothered with concerns over scratching it getting in the way of finding fish. When I get down to the dark meat I'll have it re-gel coated.

034.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

HAHA you hit the nail on the head, Jason....It's taken a little time to accept the fact that I'm going to scratch the hull on the flats but I'm getting there.  I returned the keelguard I had ordered and I am just going to refrain from looking underneath unless the bilge starts running all the time.  I poled over an oyster bar outside of Crystal River the other day that I thought was a little deeper and when I heard the scraping I made the decision to just fish it hard and keep the deck looking pretty. 

Archived