Fuel/water separator

SouthernWake

On 8/23/2017 at 9:29 AM, SouthernWake said:

Dealing with some water in fuel issues. Hopefully this isn't too basic a question but what happens when a separator becomes full of water?

is fuel flow restricted/cut off to the engine? Does water begin to pass through it once full?

Depending on where you are located...the best solution is to have the tank drained and flushed.

Cost you about $250 or so......water in fuel is never easy to solve as you don't know how much is in the tank.

Yes, once it's full, it will result in major problems.....

dc

Basically, the filter goes on bye pass and water gets pass the filter.  Larger water seperaters hold more water before they go on bye pass.

if you are not going to polish your fuel, install the tallest water separating fuel filter you can find.

This is not a good idea if you have a HPDI, because they pressurize the fuel.

I change mine every 6 months irregardless of number of hours during that period of time...if you see any corrosion on the outside, you could have a pin hole any minute and leaking fuel in the bilge area around livewell bait pumps ( electricity) is not a good idea. I was using a racor system with clear glass bottom, but now have went back to standard 10 micron Yamaha filters and have no problems so far. 

Archived