Repower I4 vs v6

legend2

I'm tossing around the idea of repowering my 21 master angler. It has a 99 Yamaha 150 v6 (2stroke) and I am thinking about the Suzuki df200a p (4stroke) i4. I am worried about the low end torque and hole shot of the I4 compared to my v6 I would think the topend would be better with the extra 50 hp. I would Like to hear your thoughts on it. The early MA are only rated for a 225. 

Had a buddy with a 150 Zuk and he had a tower on his 21 MA. He had it propped for hole shot but it seemed to do ok. I really think it depends on how you use the boat. If you fish a heavy load and want speed then I would be leaning towards the the 225 SHO. Snappy power and it will make hull speed which really is around 58 MPH max unless you prop crazy. I have run every motor Yamaha has made from 200 to 250 HP on that hull from 1999 to 2012.

The latest 2010 hull has a 250 SHO and it is faster in all respects compared to the 2010 250 2 stroke VMAX with the exact same prop.

I have a 2.6L carbed 175 ProV on my 1998 21.  I wouldn't want less than a V6 on this hull.  I am still testing props but my little V6 is very powerful for its size. Hole shot is unreal with a 20 pitch Pro series and top end is 54mph with 65 gallons and two guys on board.  I think your cruise speed and efficiency would suffer with an I4. I know I have seen a couple 21's on here with 150 I4 Yamahas. Maybe someone will chime in.  Also a pathfinder with a 150 is not a good comparison. The MA 21 has a running pad and is a good bit faster than a Pathfinder 22.  

9 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Had a buddy with a 150 Zuk and he had a tower on his 21 MA. He had it propped for hole shot but it seemed to do ok. I really think it depends on how you use the boat. If you fish a heavy load and want speed then I would be leaning towards the the 225 SHO. Snappy power and it will make hull speed which really is around 58 MPH max unless you prop crazy. I have run every motor Yamaha has made from 200 to 250 HP on that hull from 1999 to 2012.

The latest 2010 hull has a 250 SHO and it is faster in all respects compared to the 2010 250 2 stroke VMAX with the exact same prop.

Thanks, my 150 does well, great hole shot and 48 mph full fuel and 2 persona and gear. Was that 150 Zuk a 4cyl? Or any of those motors you've used?

I'm not a speed whore. I'm happy with the 40s I see. I want a great hole shot still and keep things light with the repower.

Thanks again for the replies

8 hours ago, legend2 said:

Thanks, my 150 does well, great hole shot and 48 mph full fuel and 2 persona and gear. Was that 150 Zuk a 4cyl? Or any of those motors you've used?

I'm not a speed whore. I'm happy with the 40s I see. I want a great hole shot still and keep things light with the repower.

Thanks again for the replies

A few extra pounds doesn't affect the 21 like it does other models.  The reason I like higher horsepower and torque is not necessarily for WOT. I like it for higher, more efficient cruising speeds. Just an Example as every boat is different: A 21MA with a I4 Yamaha 150 will run 35MPH @ 4400-4600 rpm. Same boat with A V6 200 will run 35mph @ 3500-3700 RPM.  200 Zuke would be my pick if leaning toward Suzuki. 

I have the 200 SHO on my 21 and now that I have it propped correctly I am very happy with it.  Almost no plane time on hole shot and tops out at 56-57 at 5800 RPM's.  I love the torque of this motor.

If I had to repower it would be with a 250 SHO (boat is an 06).

I would def do the v6..  these are some heavy sleds

I just repowered my 20ft LT from V-max 150 2 stroke to a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke.  I find very little difference in performance including hole shot.  I'm not a speed demon so I'm happy with cruising 35-40mph at 4000-4500 rpms.  I am sure a 200 sho would blast the boat right along.  Where I use my LT I'm on and open LIS sound ,so going over those speeds would kill my back as well as the boat.  In the back  country of SWFL you can open it up a lot more.

Archived