Livewell filter

Drummer

I have never had a filter on my livewell feed between the sea chest and pump. After reading so many posts about livewells, I realize I should probably add one.  Any ideas on what to add and where to get it? I just replaced my Rule pump and would like to filter the water in the hope of adding life to the pump. Thanks. 

If you install a strainer, it should be mounted so that the water can push the air out of the clear cup. In other words, the top of the cup should angle slightly downward. Something like 45 degrees down from where it attaches to the plumbing and pump. Remember, you have to be able to unthread the strainer occasionally, clean and reinstall. Also, try to keep everything (strainer and pump) below the waterline. This will allow for easy priming.

My boat did not come with strainers and the pumps were mounted vertical. When I added the strainers, that moved the pump up about 6" and it would not prime. Had to add a 90 degree pipe to the top of the shut-off, so that my strainers and pumps are now oriented horizontal instead of vertical. Never had a problem priming after lowering everything.

Archived