Why Do You Need To Check Your Fuel Filters ???

Wanaflatsfish

Here is why.....

I had not check my filter in about 4-5 trips as it's located in a "bad" spot....(I need to change this)...but, I decided to do so before this last trip as I have a weekend trip coming up soon.

Anyways, I had to take out the battery to get to the filter and here is what I found.....NOT Good.

Point being....check your stuff.....

With all the rain here in So Florida...this is now the 2nd time I've had water in Everglades City stations....about 7 months ago, I found some "gunk" in the  statin that begins with M Rec 90 fuel, now, after 6 months of only filling at the Circle K, I find this.....

I guess it's the reason we always preach - use a RACOR or Big Blue filter and feel assured you can keep going...total time to change it out.....10 minutes.....

I spoke to a local guide who had a problem at the M station about 1 year ago....he said that it was so bad, he had to change filters on the water....I carry a big blue in the rigging compartment in a plastic bag, just in case....

Tight lines...and do your home work and your motor will thank you for it.....

DC

IMG_4385.thumb.jpg.cae3bcc61054a84057bfc454f633b1c0.jpg

I think you guys in Everglades city / Choko need to go north to buy fuel,  get yourself some 6 gal tanks and go to east Naples or Marco.  At least then you're not dealing with contamination in  the fuel. It's a pain,but it's better than breaking down and draining the tank.  Those stations have had a rep for water in the fuel for yrs when the conditions are right or wrong.

5 years ago I had bad fuel from the same Marathon station get into the engines of 2 different boats. I had to pay for a fuel system "rebuild" on both boats to the tune of $1000. Got some more bad fuel two months ago at the marina underneath Jewfish Creek bridge, but this time the Racor saved me. Incidentally, I've switched to a 2 micron Racor on my 300 HPDI and my F40 as well. I've put about 50 hours on each, with no problems.

A few months back I started fueling in the water at Parkway marina around the corner from CIP. It's not cheap but very convenient and Rec90 there is always good. I stopped going to Circle K in Glades City because a few of my neighbors pumped a lot of bad fuel in their boats. I've never heard any stories about the Rec90 at the other station down the street from there & I think you can still buy Rec90 at OR. We all have to check filters regularly no matter where any of us fuel up! 

2 hours ago, conocean said:

A few months back I started fueling in the water at Parkway marina around the corner from CIP. It's not cheap but very convenient and Rec90 there is always good. I stopped going to Circle K in Glades City because a few of my neighbors pumped a lot of bad fuel in their boats. I've never heard any stories about the Rec90 at the other station down the street from there & I think you can still buy Rec90 at OR. We all have to check filters regularly no matter where any of us fuel up! 

Tried to stop off on the way back at  the "Seminole Station" on the alley.....what a cluster "F"....had to of been 50 cars and you have to go "in" and pay first....don't understand why, but, didn't do so, I"ll check it out on the way back in two weeks and see  if at zero dark thirty...it's better.

dc

Archived