Ymaha F150

budwagon1274

I have a 2005 F150 no real issues other than during the hot summer months when at the sand bar and the moter is tilted it won't want to start;it turns over but won't fire .i normally pump the ball before I start it  and it seems to help once I get it running i take off run it  wide open  and within 100 yards it bogs like it's starving for fuel I stop idle for a min and it's fine runs great has been doing this on n off for 10 years. So today same thing happens push off the sandbar go to start it won't fire I choke it and nothing go back pump the ball turn it over and it blows the cover off 15 feet into the air comes down and I dodge it get it out of the water inspect it everything is good fire it up and run it home with no issues.....so any thoughts on what's going on thanks in advance

sounds like a VST issue, either filter or pump. I know the early V6 four strokes, had a issue with the connector attached to the low speed fuel pump. during hot conditions the connector would cause a malfunction/ low voltage to the pump and cause the fuel starvation issues.

3 hours ago, budwagon1274 said:

I have a 2005 F150 no real issues other than during the hot summer months when at the sand bar and the moter is tilted it won't want to start;it turns over but won't fire .i normally pump the ball before I start it  and it seems to help once I get it running i take off run it  wide open  and within 100 yards it bogs like it's starving for fuel I stop idle for a min and it's fine runs great has been doing this on n off for 10 years. So today same thing happens push off the sandbar go to start it won't fire I choke it and nothing go back pump the ball turn it over and it blows the cover off 15 feet into the air comes down and I dodge it get it out of the water inspect it everything is good fire it up and run it home with no issues.....so any thoughts on what's going on thanks in advance

I had the same problem with my F150 - 2005.

1.) Did you check your anti-siphon valve at the tank?   Take it off and replace - it's about a $15 part and it has a bearing and spring...if something gets into the bearing it will starve the fuel line.

2.) When was the last time you changed the fuel pump ball ?  If you are using corn juice, it will eat the little flap which is used stop it from going flat?

The choke issue with the back-fire does sound serious and might be more than just a fuel starving issue.....

I"d get it to a 5 start yamaha mechanic soon......that's not normal.

Where are you located?

DC

Located in ocala fl.....fuel pump ball?assuing that's the primer ball, I changed that last year in July. When this happens it seems like it has no fuel in the ball. what was the actual issue with yours end up being? I have used the corn juice for 12 years and have had no issues or horror stories that I read about other than this issue.

Sounds like you had excess fuel that was exposed to the air and to a spark associated with the starter.  That's what ignited and blew the cowling off. Have you tried to duplicate these conditions while the boat is on the trailer? That might tell you where the excess gasoline is coming from. Do you have carbs or fuel injected?

Fuel injected....the only time I have the issue is at that sand bar,never while fishing   Floating around on the trailer. Seems like it's only when it's hot and slightly tilted so it don't hit the ground. It sat over night in the water tilted all the way up got in it to leave and fired fine sat in one spot all day fishing fired right up went to sand bar for a hour then had starting issue when leaving

Do you ever smell raw gasoline when you tilt the motor up? That's what is happening. You have gasoline leaking under the cowling. When you tilt the motor up a night, it probably leaks gasoline, but evaporates during the night.

I would put the boat on the trailer, hook up the hose and run the motor till it warms up. Shut off the motor, tilt the motor up, then squeeze the primer bulb and look for gasoline. I can't tell you the exact problem, other than you had a gasoline leak that ignited from sparks that came from the starter motor. You have to try to duplicate the same conditions that happened at the sand-bar, to find the fuel leak,  but don't attempt to start the motor .  

I never smell fuel never seen fuel leak. I'm pretty sure I flooded it by choking it and leaving the throttle down when I pumped the ball. The best way I can describe it is it's like a vapor lock of some sort I'm thinking the fuel is evaporating from the rail causing it. I got a buddy who's pretty good with motors just trying to pick some brains if anyone else has had this issue trying to find a starting point.

17 hours ago, budwagon1274 said:

Located in ocala fl.....fuel pump ball?assuing that's the primer ball, I changed that last year in July. When this happens it seems like it has no fuel in the ball. what was the actual issue with yours end up being? I have used the corn juice for 12 years and have had no issues or horror stories that I read about other than this issue.

Yes, primer ball....did you buy an OEM - or aftermarket...it can make a difference.

Sounds like you have fuel starving from the tank.....again, begin at the source.

1.) Take off the anti-siphon valve and replace

2.) Blow out the the fuel line at the tank - could be something stuck in the siphon on the tank - gunk, etc.

3.) check to be sure there are no kinks in the line after the fuel filter - 

4.) What type of fuel filter are you using?  RACOR or big blue - is it seated properly.

5.) Area all the connections along the fuel line properly tightened.....

As for leaking fuel....check all your connections.....a 12 year old hose could be leaking with a pin hole.

DC

Archived