Two Angels

Wanaflatsfish

Great shot Dino. How much image adjustment goes on after the shoot and how much of the look is down to the lighting?

There was a large umbrella for the lighting and small strobe shooting towards the background...

I did some feathering in black on the edges....and a bit of color adjustment and sharpening.

dc

Thanks Dino - The image really pops out at you. I'd love to get more of my photos with that clear saturated look that are displayed in your competition trout image and yellowtail photo. There are a few other photographers on the forum displaying similar fantastic shots like Benzo, Will-i-am and Chris Lewis. I read an article by Sam Root on Salty Shores describing how to produce these punchy images but haven't quite got there with mine yet. What adjustments would you normally make to get your fish shots that vibrant?

Thanks - Chris

I use Lightroom 4 for my RAW processing....shooting in raw is the key as you are manipulating the pixels themselves...

You get the "pop" from adjusting the saturation, vibrancy and color...it's a tweek here and a tweek there...

If you shoot in JPEG, you need to shoot in Fine...

As well, you can get some good post processing in IPhoto or Apeture (which is significantly better).....

Basic Photoshop Elements will do much of what I do here....just less power...

Many pros post process first in Lightroom then move to Photoshop for final post processing...I havent' learned enough about PS to be good....but, working on that...

PS elements and Apeture are more intutitive.

Also, I'm framing my shots, and while using a DX format...my lenses are the best in cl***...

This was shot with a Nikon 24-70mm 2.8...it's a $2K lense but, it's one of the best, if not the best in this range..

My wide angle, the Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 is noted as THE BEST wide angle in the industry....again, it's a $2K piece of gl***...

I shooting with a Nikon D7000 that shoots 16MP....not Full Frame..but, I've made the decision this year, to shoot the heck out of my D7000 and buy FX gl***...

I bought the "trinity"..

Nikon 14-24mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8 and Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 which are all great gl***..

I also have the Sigma 50mm F1.4 which is an incredible portrait lense...

I also have a Nikon 35mm F1.8...an inexpensive, but, nice lense...

My next purchase will be the Nikon 24mm F1.4....(can't wait).....Great BOKEH :)!!!

What are you shooting ? Nikon or Cannon??? Other ?

dc

Dino - I'm using a Cannon EOS 350D with their stock 18-55mm lens with UV filter and occasionally a polarising filter. I think the US name for this camera model was the Rebel. It's several years old now. My fishing partner has the same camera with an expensive portrait lens and the results I get using his camera are much better. Generally I'd say that most of the images taken with my camera are slightly soft.

I use Macromedia Fireworks for adjusting images. I've never shot RAW images using my camera and I would need to acquire new software to manipulate the RAW images.

It looks like you are answering all my questions and I definitely need to upgrade my lens and possibly camera and shoot in RAW. You need to start with a good image to get a great final finished photo. I then need to mess around with a little more image manipulation.

Your equipment list is fantastic and it's clear that photography as a hobby can sometimes be as expensive as the boating and fishing tackle. I'm hiding this post from my wife :content:

As the years go by I've found that I am taking less photos the more I visit. There's that element of saying to yourself "I've already got that shot" and leaving the camera in the bag. I need to get over that attitude. Bulky cameras in a tightly packed boat can be a pain and I've been shooting more with HD video - purely for convenience's sake. I would like to upgrade this to the GoPro system. That said, you can't beat the effect of a brilliant image and it looks like I'm going to have to break into the piggy bank and put the old technology to one side.

Thanks for the advice Dino.

one of the things I've learned when shooting portraits...take off all the filters...

I Don't shoot with filters anymore except when shooting outdoors due to the sun's glare...

Why???

One of the pro's who's part of my group explained it this way...

You got a $2k lenses...who cover it with a UV lense that costs $25 (what most people put on)....and used to do (LOL).

If you are going to use polarizing lenses...use Circular Polarizing....good quality like HOYA...most people think it's only to protect the lense....it's not...it's part of the process...

basically, you need to be careful when handling the camera...but, I'd rather "scratch" the lense front and then send it back to the factor to be fixed..than have cheap UV filters and get "soft" pics...that could be your problem as well.

BTW, nothing wrong with old technology...it works...

The key is to increase your JPEG pixel count..you can just shoot in the highest level of resolution.

Cannon has some great stuff out these days...but, I have to say...the Nikon D7K is a great body for the hard core amatuer....lots of features....

I'm now beginning to move into lighting...my Nikon D7k has Commander mode which allows me to manage my Speedlights remotely....been taking lighting cl*** and have set up my own home studio with softboxes and muslim background...will be lots of fun...stand-by for lots of Dog pics soon (LOL) :)

BTW,

I'll be over in the UK soon this summer for busines...most likely before or after Olympic time....

Where are you located in the UK?

I usually head up to Branston to our offices during my visits....

I know it's up by Sherwood Forest...would like to do a visit and shoot up in that region sometime...

We can catch up?

BTW, one thing I learned from some of my hardcore photography friends....

SHOOT EVERY DAY....EVEN IF IT'S SOMETHING SIMPLE LIKE THE GL*** ON YOUR DINING ROOM TABLE.... !!!

why?

It's like casting a fishing rod....the more you shoot, the more comfortable you are with the camera in your hands...how to quickly set the ISO, use the different features, use the flash, etc. etc..

Just like fishing...when I have my St. Croix Avid and my Sustain combo, I can hit a small opening in a mangrove at 75 feet when casting....and thus the big redfish....

with your camera, it's the same thing....to get a great shot...that may only be there for a few seconds...you need to grab, point and CAST....errrr.....shoot...

dc

Thanks for info Dino. I do use Hoya filters. The UV is mainly to protect the lens but I get the point that there is no reason to place a cheap piece of gl*** in front of an expensive lens. I use a circular polariser to cut glare and for fish in water shots. I suspect that photography is another hobby that could quickly become an addiction. I'd love to get one of the new full frame cameras but whilst I'm coming over to the Keys twice a year and paying to keep and maintain the boat it's a distant dream.

I grew up very near your UK offices at a place called Ravenshead in Nottinghamshire, a short walk from Newstead Abbey which was the home of Lord Byron. I moved up to the English Lake District in 1976 and have been here ever since. I live in one of the most photogenic areas of the UK and if you get up this way I'd love to meet up. We have the best walking countryside in England with beautiful rolling hills, mountains and beautiful lakes.

Lake District Landscapes

I'm fishing in the Keys next month from 10th-25th May with a couple of friends so I hope the weather is kind to us.

Archived