Broken Blue Seas Battery Switch

FunFlatsFishing

Has anyone else has their Blue Seas battery switch break like this? Sure glad this didn't damage my engine while I had it running. It is mounted as their recommended bulk head mount although the other mount they recommend with the backing plate may have prevented this. Nonetheless this method of mounting is in their instructions.

It got to the point where I couldn't even turn my batteries off no matter how many times I spun the dial. 

The below top pic is after I replaced it with a new switch  

The middle is the broken switch. You can see where the plastic around the 4 screws snapped 

The bottom is where I was able to spin it to turn my batteries off  

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

Call Blue Seas... they will replace it for free. They just recently redesigned the switch (08/2017) and will replace it with a new model or they have a correction kit they will send you for free for switches that haven't broken yet. It's a bracket that goes on the back and will keep the switch tightened down correctly. I've had 3 of these switches fall apart on me. I paid for 2 new ones before I called them the last time and they sent me a brand new switch no questions asked. 

Josh B.

I'm convinced that the problem with most battery switches is that they are held together with 3 or 4 small screws and plastic. When people tighten down the battery leads, that fractures the plastic. Then, over time with use, they just fall apart. Mine failed in about one year. When I replaced it, I took the switch apart, held the rear section on my hand, then attached the battery leads. Then put the front and back half's together. This method takes all the pressure of the small screws when tightening the battery leads.  

• 1 month later...

Got me too!! I have been wanting to change over to the auto charging switch and just have not gotten around to it . Went to the boat tonight to check her out for fishing in the morning. I turned the switch to a terrible feeling of no resistance and no clicking to position. I knew exactly what it was because of reading this thread before. My boat is a 2012 so I assume the switch to be 5 years old. Thought I iwould post up to remind others to swap there switches out. 

Side note yes I did jump the wires on the back of the switch. Plans to fish did not ruin. 

Archived