What Electronics for 1900V Pathfinder?

Stonehenge

Reside in Jacksonville.  Have a 1900V pathfinder.  Purchased with no electronics.  Plan on doing inshore and near shore fishing.  What electronics should I get for this boat?  Do I need radar, side imaging, or just a basic fish finder?  Kind of new to this, looking preferably closer to $500 but best bang for the buck under $1K.

Any concerns with looking used or should I stick to new?

I have a 1900v as well, and a Garmin 540s. Unless Garmin starts catching up to Lowrance and Simrad on their graphics, I'll never buy another one. On the plus side, Garmin is very user friendly and works well enough for me. Their pre loaded maps and lack of updates is disappointing. 

4 hours ago, BradM said:

I have a 1900v as well, and a Garmin 540s. Unless Garmin starts catching up to Lowrance and Simrad on their graphics, I'll never buy another one. On the plus side, Garmin is very user friendly and works well enough for me. Their pre loaded maps and lack of updates is disappointing. 

This.  I've been a Lowrance product guy for a while, but my 1900 came with Garmin 50dv so it was easier to swap head units and reuse the transducer. I found a deal on the Garmin 74dv at West Marine for $399 with charts. Keep an eye out. Deals pop up regularly but you have to be ready to buy right then.

If you are interested in Garmin : check out The GPS Store for a deal, sometimes they offer the 74SV and 94SV with the Blue Chart G2 Chart ( chip ) which will be listed by " region". This is normally a $235 upgrade. But if you watch their website or call, they will sell the unit with the side view transducer and Blue Chart G2 chip at no extra cost,. I believe the 74 sells for around $700. 

There is no comparison in the clarity and details that the Blue Chart chip offers over the Garmin " Coastal Map".

****.  If you go with Garmin, do get the Blue Chart G2 chip.

I bgt an echo chirp 54cv with blue chart G2  installed for under $500.  It does everything i want and has good graphics.  They make the same machine in a larger size if you want that.  Unless you are fishing shallow water,mangroves or sod banks side view doesn't do much for me. Check Amazon out.

Stonehenge - given what you will be fishing and your price range, if you can get a Lowrance TI, I think it will give you the best bang for the buck.  It has down-scan, side scan, and chirp, great maps, upgradable software, and a single transducer.  I got the Lowrance HDS Gen 3, but almost got the TI.  Has all the same critical features as my HDS, but about half the price.  I only went with the HDS because the TI had JUST been released at the time and I've been burned on "new" electronics too many times.  I think the reviews have been great though!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived