Trouble starting 95 Bayfisher with Yamaha 115

tailingloop

I have a 95 Bayfisher with 115 Yamaha.  Unfortunately, I don't get to use it much - once every couple of weeks.  Starting it is a chore.  I follow the standard procedure of pumping to firm bulb; depressing choke switch and turning key.  It will not catch.  Eventually, i will get it to turn over but it takes a while.  Plugs are good.  Any secrets that I am missing?  Thanks.  

Are you sure the choke is working correctly?  You should be able to hear the linkage moving to close the carbs up. Are you starting the engine tilted all the way down? It makes a difference on carberaterd engines .. all the way down is best for cold start. If your bubble is getting hard I will assume the bubble is turned the correct direction. Are the plugs new or do they just look good? How does the motor start after it is warm?

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:28 PM, tailingloop said:

I have a 95 Bayfisher with 115 Yamaha.  Unfortunately, I don't get to use it much - once every couple of weeks.  Starting it is a chore.  I follow the standard procedure of pumping to firm bulb; depressing choke switch and turning key.  It will not catch.  Eventually, i will get it to turn over but it takes a while.  Plugs are good.  Any secrets that I am missing?  Thanks.  

Make sure choke is working properly.  It has a little black arm that attaches the solenoid to the butterflies. If that fell off for any reason you are not getting choke from the key.  Check it with the cowling off.  If plugs are over a year old replace them.  If choke is working and primer bulb fills up and carbs are full try advancing the throttle a hair while starting with choke.  Cold carbed two strokes often need a little more throttle/fuel when dead cold.

• 3 weeks later...

Had  a 96 Bayfisher with a 115. We rebuilt the motor a the carbs. I always started it using the choke on the engine and it would start on the second crank. They are strong engines but need to have the carbs serviced and use of rec gas is a must. Too bad Yamaha doesn't support the installed base that loves their two strokes.

Archived