Newsed motor for our MA

eilybird

Purchased our 18.5 MA from WHICHWAYSUP and have loved everything about the boat except its desire to kill mosquitoes (smoked like a freight train) . We would pull into the dock and I could tell if everybody was oogling the boat or trying to see who was driving in all the smoke lol. Now when I bought the boat WHICHWAYSUP was 110%honest about the motor and I knew what I was buying just to clarify. I also have a 17 boston whaler that had a really nice 2007 mercury 4 stroke 90 sitting on it. I got a lot of good info on this site about how everybody thought the 90 would work on the MA (most said don't do it) . Well my son and I decided to take the time and effort and switch the motors just to see how it worked. Much to my delight the 90 will be staying on the boat until another opportunity for a 115 or a 150 comes along.  The top end is the same 38 to 40 mph (yes that WOT) but we can cruise at 30 with half throttle . The hole shot is non existent but Im not pulling skiers and I will trade no hole shot for the pure pleasure of a 4 stroke motor (no mixing fuel can take a nice cruise and talk over the motor etc). The motor jumps on plane quickly but just not as quick as with the 115 Yamaha. So if anybody where to ask me should they buy a 90 hp for their MA I would say if you can get one real cheap or free go for it but if you plan to re power and spend real money stay above a 115.  Since we purchase the boat we have added the new trailer and now the newesed outboard and did I say we absolutely love this boat . We where catching reds and trout last weekend in the bay and where fishing for largemouth lastnight in the locale river.  This spring we went island hopping down in florida . what else could you want.

boat with new motor.jpg

THERE SHE IS!!!!    Oh, how I loved that boat!  She looks beautiful and I'm not too surprised that the 90 is enough for her - that boat is a LOT lighter than my 2000 MA.   So glad to see her again, and exceptionally happy to hear that she's got a new power pack on the back!   

Keep her well coated in fish slime - she get's really cranky if the layers thin out!

BTW, I guess it's time for me to update my profile pic, it should be yours now!

Archived