Speaker in Gunnel? (pathfinder 1900v)

Stonehenge

I am looking to install speakers in my 1900V pathfinder.  I plan to put two in the front hatches on starboard and port sides facing backwards.  The other two I was thinking a good location would be in the gunnels somewhere between the back deck and the leaning post. 

I have stuck my head down in the hatch and looked down the gunnels, they seem hollow all the way down and it appears there is space for a speaker.

Has anyone installed speakers in the gunnels?  Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Two answers:

If this is primarily used as a fishing boat then I suggest using a very good portable BOSE or JBL speaker.. it offers you and the family a portable means of music if you go off boat and onto sand bar, rather then Blair your music off the boat..which usually gets muffled..

aslo for resale , I'm the type that likes a clean boat..that's just me..

but if you decide to lay in speakers I would install at the angle return of each front hatch that would almost face each person on leaning post.. the wiring is relatively easy..use high quality speakers and head unit and I believe it will be just fine.---Remember this is my opinion only..

I don’t know what your requirements are as far as sound but I had two speakers in my console on my 1900 and they were more than enough for me. Could hear nice clear music while running at speed which is the limits of my requirements  

Be careful comparing pics of boats on here especially 2200’s. I think ‘02 and earleir are same but my ‘03 2200 has noticeably thicker gunnels than my 1900 did.  

I know a lot of guys go all out on sound system, and can prob chime in a lot better....just not my thing. @BradM is very knowledgeable on 1900 and a loud music guy 😬

8 hours ago, justfish said:

I don’t know what your requirements are as far as sound but I had two speakers in my console on my 1900 and they were more than enough for me. Could hear nice clear music while running at speed which is the limits of my requirements  

Be careful comparing pics of boats on here especially 2200’s. I think ‘02 and earleir are same but my ‘03 2200 has noticeably thicker gunnels than my 1900 did.  

I know a lot of guys go all out on sound system, and can prob chime in a lot better....just not my thing. @BradM is very knowledgeable on 1900 and a loud music guy 😬

Hey now, by today's standards my stuff is very tame and moderate. I just like to hear my music when I'm running...and if necessary, at the sandbar too. More often than not I keep it turned down around the sandbar as I don't like the attention, positive or negative. I've never thought of poking holes in my gunnels, and I can't confirm there is room to do so. I'm sure as you go lower (closer to the deck) the distance between the hull and cap increase. I mounted my rear 7.7's in the rear bulkhead, facing towards the bow. @justfish is intimately familiar with cutting holes for rod holders in the cap; maybe he took a peak down there and knows what's down there....? 

If I were doing it all over, and I had the depth to accommodate, I'd mount a set where  you want to in the forward hatchs and a set in the gunnels between the console and leaning post, where you'd be sure to hear it while underway.  

What speakers are you looking at Stonehenge? 

*Edit* added a pic showing my speaker location.

IMG_0024.JPG

I am but honestly I can’t remember the last time I looked at the back of a speaker to see how much the magnet (they still use magnets right?) stick out nowadays. My gut feeling is no  

If @JEMsays it was a tight fit for his,  I’d say it’s a no go old the older hulls cause there’s seemingly a nocticable difference in there to me. 

I was going with these speakers at Academy.  Seem like a good bang for the buck speaker(correct me if I am wrong).  Looking at the magnets on the back I think it will be a tight fit but will work.  I do have a screw hole in the area I want to mount(from previous owner).  Going to stick a wire coat hanger or something in there to see how much space I have.  But fairly certain I will have enough with these speakers.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/infinity-6-12-in-marine-speakers---pair#repChildCatid=4195533

Any trick in cutting the holes?  I need options for what tools to use.  I think Dremel is best but having trouble finding one to borrow and wondering if something else will work.

Router, root-zip....make a template and get after it. Something with a sharp bit and a lot of RPM will make a nice, clean cut. If you have to use a jig saw, tape the area off with masking tape or something, so you don't scratch the surrounding gel coat AND to minimize cracking the gel coat and splintering the glass. 

When you must use a jigsaw on fiberglass there are two things to make a clean cut. Taping the area stops the saw from scuffing up the gel coat but only helps chipping minimally . To stop chipping get a fine blade that cuts on the down stroke. This puts the tearout on the back side and keeps a clean edge on the gel oat.

So I bought a Dremel for $25 on C-List.  Worked great on the first hole.  Second hole I decided to change the bits and over tightened it or something but ended up breaking the dremel(seized up).  So I used a dremel bit on my regular drill and it worked just fine.  Anyone looking for an option and doesn't have a dremel or jigsaw, just buy a dremel bit and use your drill.

Archived