Master Angler 17 - layout and price opinion

daygator

Hi all this is my first post.  I have been lurking since early summer and absorbed a lot here.  I really appreciate that.  I could use some opinion here.  I have been looking for a flats boat and specifically hoping for something to come along in my price range with a Maverick or Redfisher.  I have come across an opportunity on a 2003 Master Angler 17 from a friend of a friend and am trying to make up my mind. I don't have any knowledge on past history of the boat and how it has been used.

This boat has the removable cooler right in front of the console.  Under it is one of those round, black access hatches in the deck.  Is this access hatch standard on this boat?  I'm trying to figure out if any modifications have been done to the boat, and the owner doesn't know.  The owner is the second owner and bought it like it is a few years ago, and really has no clue about the boat.  

Also, the gel coat on the boat looks to be in really clean shape and the owner claims the boat was stored inside by him, and he thinks also by the prior owner.  So the topside and hull look pretty darn clean.  However, most of the lids on the underside are "peeling" pretty bad.  A very thin coat.  It really looks like paint that is coming off from a bad paint job.  I don't know how else to explain it and I don't have any pictures.  Is this normal on this boat or should I be leery of this indicating something else may have been done and covered up?  This particular owner claims nothing of the sort was done - not by him anyways.

I have read quite a bit on this site about having to cut out and replace older aluminum gas tanks.  I would have no ability to pay for that and it would be a deal killer for me for sure.  Should this boat have some good life left on the tank?  Or is that a concern too?

Finally, assuming this boat is in pretty clean shape with no apparent damage other than cosmetic stuff, is $15,000 a fair price?  With that comes a 2003 F115 with 850ish hours (the hours here concern me a bit), a newer trailer and trolling motor, and no electronics.  I don't think it has been used much in the past few years and I'm sure some things will need to be addressed.  This is in my price range, I just don't want to make a mistake if I can avoid it.  Any opinions here or anything else i should be looking out for?  

Thank you!

Sounds fair to me, but that hatch issue is suspicious.  I don't think the access plate is standard.   If it is in as good shape as you say, I wouldn't worry too much.  How much money are you going to lose if it doesnt habe structural or engine issues?

I always pay close attention to how the seller maintains his house, truck, garage.  Tells you a lot.

1 minute ago, whichwaysup said:

I always pay close attention to how the seller maintains his house, truck, garage.  Tells you a lot.

Thanks.  I totally agree with this and I do the same.  Unfortunately, this boat has been moved from the guy's house and is sitting at where he works now that he is about to put a for sale sign on it and stick it out front.

The access hatch in front of the console is to get to the fuel sending unit, 100% normal. Just open in and make sure that it is not off centered, as mine is, haven't conquered that one yet. Not sure about the paint peeling in the hatches, need pics. I wouldn't be happy with the F115, it has to be somewhat "doggish", but just my .02. Pic of the hatch, feel free to pm with any questions. I have the full console with seat, so mine is in my console, it actually sits under my tray for TM batts. I don't use a fuel gauge because they are a pain, u have a fuel flow meter, much easier to deal with.

20120805_184120.jpg

25 minutes ago, daygator said:

Hi all this is my first post.  I have been lurking since early summer and absorbed a lot here.  I really appreciate that.  I could use some opinion here.  I have been looking for a flats boat and specifically hoping for something to come along in my price range with a Maverick or Redfisher.  I have come across an opportunity on a 2003 Master Angler 17 from a friend of a friend and am trying to make up my mind. I don't have any knowledge on past history of the boat and how it has been used.

This boat has the removable cooler right in front of the console.  Under it is one of those round, black access hatches in the deck.  Is this access hatch standard on this boat?  I'm trying to figure out if any modifications have been done to the boat, and the owner doesn't know.  The owner is the second owner and bought it like it is a few years ago, and really has no clue about the boat.  

Also, the gel coat on the boat looks to be in really clean shape and the owner claims the boat was stored inside by him, and he thinks also by the prior owner.  So the topside and hull look pretty darn clean.  However, most of the lids on the underside are "peeling" pretty bad.  A very thin coat.  It really looks like paint that is coming off from a bad paint job.  I don't know how else to explain it and I don't have any pictures.  Is this normal on this boat or should I be leery of this indicating something else may have been done and covered up?  This particular owner claims nothing of the sort was done - not by him anyways.

I have read quite a bit on this site about having to cut out and replace older aluminum gas tanks.  I would have no ability to pay for that and it would be a deal killer for me for sure.  Should this boat have some good life left on the tank?  Or is that a concern too?

Finally, assuming this boat is in pretty clean shape with no apparent damage other than cosmetic stuff, is $15,000 a fair price?  With that comes a 2003 F115 with 850ish hours (the hours here concern me a bit), a newer trailer and trolling motor, and no electronics.  I don't think it has been used much in the past few years and I'm sure some things will need to be addressed.  This is in my price range, I just don't want to make a mistake if I can avoid it.  Any opinions here or anything else i should be looking out for?  

Thank you!

Decision is quite simple......call a reputable Marine Surveyor - for $250 he will go over it with a fine tooth comb, then for another $100, have someone at a yamaha dealer do a search on the engine for warranty work and then have them do a once over on the engine.

If you are really serious about the boat....it's the best $300 you can spend.  The Surveyor will also check the trailer if required.  

That being said - at about 500 hr, normally there is an extensive amount of work to be performed on the "F" engines...it will cost about $500-600.

A service by someone who is not going to rob you should only be $450 or so for plugs, running it on the computer, water pump, etc., change lower unit oil, all filter, etc. etc.

Do not be concerned about 850 hrs on a F115- they will easily go for 3K if properly maintained and not abused....they are normally rock solid.

Without posting some pictures, hard to tell what's going on...

Here's what I would do as a final recommendation:

1.) get some pics, post them here- lots of MHP owners who will give you honest opinions, not what you want to hear - like your friends

2.) take pics of the inside of the console and the wiriing, inside the bilge, all the rigging, etc.

3.) When were the batteries last changed?  Good batteries are about $500 for a set of 3 for trolling motors etc.

4.) when was the trailer last serviced?  How old are the tires - new tires and bearings are about $350.

5.) Take a pics of the inside of the hatches and access....

6.) FINALLY AND MOST IMPORTANT - get the HULL VIN off the stern and send it to Skip Lyson Head of Sales here and he'll give you background if any warranty or damage work was performed.

$15K for this vessel, which are in demand, is not out of reality - especially with a F115.  I bought my, 1995, with a 1995 engine (original) for $11.5, but, I've put another $2.5 in batteries, upgrades, etc. and I'll never sell it....I now have a $50K skiff for about $20K when you consider my Powerpoles and Electronics and Trolling motor which I took from a previous skiff.

Hope this helps...enjoy the search....NO MATTER WHAT USED BOAT YOU WILL FIND - BE SURE TO BANK AN EXTRA $3-5K FOR UPGRADES OR REPAIRS....IT JUST HAPPENS.

DC

Thanks for the input guys.  I never thought about the F115 could be doggish.  I would definitely NOT be interested if that is the case.  I see lots of 18 Redfishers out there with this power so I thought it would be plenty on the MA.  I'm no speed demon but anything leaning toward doggish would be enough for me to keep looking.  What would be considered good power or a better engine for this boat of this vintage?

I think it would be pretty tough to call a 115 on a 17 "doggish" - sorry Dino!   It won't be a rocket (50 mph+) but I'd be pretty darned shocked if it isn't topping out in the mid 40s.   My last 18.6 MA had a 28 year old 115 2 Stroke and it topped out at 44 mph and was NEVER slow getting on plane.   I think most 17's have 115's or 130s on them.    

But, take a test drive and find out, just make sure you pack a HUGE lunch, bring your heaviest cast net, and ask him to fill up the live wells before you leave the dock.  :)

46 minutes ago, daygator said:

Thanks for the input guys.  I never thought about the F115 could be doggish.  I would definitely NOT be interested if that is the case.  I see lots of 18 Redfishers out there with this power so I thought it would be plenty on the MA.  I'm no speed demon but anything leaning toward doggish would be enough for me to keep looking.  What would be considered good power or a better engine for this boat of this vintage?

Doggish is in the eye of the beholder...with the right 4 blade prop it will spin right up...I ran a F115 on my RF18 and it ran fine and now I have a 2 stroke 115 all with 4 blade power tech's.

Again, different props and engines for each of us....take it for a water test to be sure before you write it off....no, they won't go 60 mph or most likely even 45, but, they are good engines when maintained....

i also ran a f150 on my Path, everyone said it was a dog...it ran fine for me....to each their own.

dc

What does “good life” left on the tank mean to you?  If I planned  on keeping the boat for long time, it would be my biggest concern on these boats without a doubt.  

IMO an uncoated aluminum fuel tank is  a wild card on a boat this age.  Yes, there’s been a few pop up on here recently with this issue, which may lead you to believe some could be nearing the end of their service life. But there are a lot  more older than 2003 that still on water without any issues. Unless you can really inspect the whole tank, there’s no way to really know exactly what up with it. 

Can you fish an inspection camera around that access hole you mentioned? Won’t be able to see bottom, but maybe get a general idea of it and see any pitting on sides.  I purchased a 3’ or so one for $100 from the Depot (or could rent one but it’s almost as much)

2 hours ago, justfish said:

What does “good life” on the tank mean to you?  

I realize there is no specific time, but I was hoping for good odds that tank trouble would not be until year 20-ish "typically".  If I would already be on borrowed time the day I purchase, this would be one more thing that I need to consider real hard if this is the right boat for me.  I'm at the top of my budget and any "big" expense right after purchase would be more than I can handle. I realize I can't remove this risk entirely, but I would like the odds in my favor at least.  

I would say a lot Is depending on the installation and how boat was used. Is it foamed in, is there air space around it, etc. Was boat saltwater boat? Was it lift stored over salt water, garage kept, etc. All that comes into play  and I have no idea how they did that boat  

For some sort of comparison for you my 96 Hewes has some decent pitting on outside mostly on brackets and welds for them that were mounted to carpet. Why carpet I don’t know cause  I’m sure the carpet held moisture. Not much else that was open so that’s why I say the install matters most  

This a well very kept garage stored boat. It was 3-4 years ago when I sold it (so similar age as one your looking at) and I wouldn’t think that tank would have given me any issues for 5-10 more years.

Archived