Camping in Choko

Hello All.

The weather is finally starting to cool down and I was hoping to camp out.

Technical question - I know that the ranger station in Everglades city is still closed due to the hurricane.

Since I cannot reserve a site can I even legally camp in the national park right now.

Thanks for all insight.

Jesse

23 hours ago, conocean said:

What he said.

FYI, there are a lot of people trying to camp in the backcountry without permits since Irma passed and I've heard the traffic at some designated camping areas has been crazy. 

Check out this link for more info- 

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

when they open a Holiday Inn in Flamingo...I will be "camping" in the park :)

You guyz are so hard core...I did enough "Camping" to last a lifetime in the Marine Corps back in the 70's....nothing like a hump in Da Sh^%%T for a few weeks to cure you of "camping". :):)

Wet boots and C-Rats for weeks on end....let alone sleeping in the rain....lots of fun :)

Dc

Oh, stop it Dino. Today's camping equipment is far better than it was 40 years ago. You don't get wet when you buy a good tent and your food stays cold in RTIC coolers! Today's equipment turns backcountry camping into luxury camping even compared to 20 years ago. 

The only camping I've done in the ENP this year is at my fish camp which is in the ENP :D

What Paul said. My version of camping is a 34’ 5th wheel w/ 3 slides and a 50amp hookup. But Last Christmas it was a tent on a chickee with thermacells, igloos, rtics and yetis. There were tents with dry flies and air matresses. Then there were bugs and sweat. At night. In tent. But the sound of snook crashing a school of mullet in pitch black dark 3’ below your bed was better than AC, microwave popcorn and a black tank.  It was miles away from 110 volts and the security blanket that rings all hours of the day. It was not knowing if we would ever make it back to the ramp and not really giving a hoot. Fight the power, Dino. Embrace the chickee. 

18 hours ago, conocean said:

Oh, stop it Dino. Today's camping equipment is far better than it was 40 years ago. You don't get wet when you buy a good tent and your food stays cold in RTIC coolers! Today's equipment turns backcountry camping into luxury camping even compared to 20 years ago. 

The only camping I've done in the ENP this year is at my fish camp which is in the ENP :D

I admire all you campers and enjoy reading the posts from everyone....yes, I've seen the boyz on the beach at New Turkey........small little generators running, lots of big fires awaiting, coolers full of steaks and I'm sure some nice rum for the cold winter nights.....tents that look like something out of Lawerence of Arabia.....

enjoy.....just not for me.....

I was told by John the ranger (I am sure if you have ever put in at Outdoor Resorts you know who I am talking about LOL) that it is first come first serve. Just pitch your tent and it is yours.

Lots of tree debris in the water to dodge but besides that it really looks untouched.

On 11/21/2017 at 5:54 PM, JnamJnam said:

I was told by John the ranger (I am sure if you have ever put in at Outdoor Resorts you know who I am talking about LOL) that it is first come first serve. Just pitch your tent and it is yours.

Lots of tree debris in the water to dodge but besides that it really looks untouched.

Looks like a nice backcountry snook..I was over on Wed and the fishing was "OK"....but, I heard on Tuesday it was on fire.

What areas did you end up fishing and camping...

dc

• 1 year later...

22 Pathy will access fine. Low/Neg winter tides can be a challenge but you can access most of the back country in a 22. I ran everything in a loaded down 20 Pathy. All of the rivers are good. Some of the entrances to the rivers are dangerous. Need to run them at high tide unless you know the way in and out. 

I would say it really depends on where you intend to go.  There are plenty of areas where you don't need a YAK or SUP.  However, I've seen boats and surprisingly skinny skiffs hauling both. There were some areas I would have loved to fish but didn't want to take a chance with my boat.  No spots in particular just spots I saw that looked  Fishy in areas close to where i was.  I guess it's just that curious sense to want to explore.  I know that we caught Lots of fish all over the Glades at the entrances to the rivers and down the outside banks.  Also found fish on barrier islands during certain tides.  Islands or bars in the rivers were productive as well.  We saw large boats running back in Shark.  We fished next to an Old Bayliner Cabin Cuddy (prolly a 26) in Harney.  Saw a large(22+26) CC in Broad.  Passed other larger CCs in the back on the way from Broad to Choko.  The Park Ranger rolls in a 24 or 26 with a T-Top and he covers all of the waterway except for the Nightmare (? between Broad and Harney).  Now we sat on the outside of Harney high and dry for an hour because we were on an Outgoing Neg with a gale force south wind.  All that to say the short answer is you can fish plenty of areas in your 22.  A YAK or SUP would be nice to have if you want to really explore.  

Not really.  We fished out of Choko Island Marina last Christmas with a Pathy 24 that had a tower(2nd station).  He did REALLY well because he was up in the air and could spot fish.  He didn't even bother going back in the rivers because he spotted plenty of fish on the outside.  

The only place you would have an issue is if you tried to go under the overpass between EC and Choko.  There is a bridge there that probably wouldn't accommodate a CC much less a tower.  So if you were at Glades Haven and trying to get to Rod and Gun, you couldn't access from the bridge between EC/Choko.  

If you stay at Choko Island Marina or anywhere on Choko, you should have no issues.  If you stay on the Baron River side in EC you should have no issues either.  

Having the tower should be a huge plus.  

On 12/9/2018 at 7:28 PM, dcathey said:

Are these areas able to be accessed in a bay boat like a 22 pathfinder or do you need a flats boat? I’ve always wanted to go down there one year and camp  but if fishing isn’t an option due to draft issues I’ll have to wait til I have another boat

probably 50% of all the boats I've seen on a given day are 22 Pathy's or similar....I ran a 22 for 5 years in Choko...

With a FMT chip....NO ISSUES....just be cautious on a negative tide...I ran for 5 years in my pathy without a FMT...only broke my skeg 2x's and no serious damage :)

Follow the FMT redline...and you'll be fine, no matter where you launch...on a low tide, the rod and gun is the easiest to navigate either in or out.

dc

That would be an awesome wat to fish. My old college roomie used to do that in HS. They would rent house boats and head to Shark. He said best trips ever. 

We saw a few set up around shark as mother ships when we were doing chickees a few years ago. Would love to do that. Easy way to store all supplies and live in some comfort for the non camping types. 

7 hours ago, Sunstone said:

Just rented one for a week in May but using it just for a place to stay.  Not planning to take it.

Post  up a review after you go. I don’t think I’m going to be able to go this spring. It’s looking like a next winter for my trip. Skiing, keys, and local trippys going to get in the way this year

Archived