Jump to content

PLB or EPIRB


rubble
 Share

Recommended Posts

Am considering picking up a device for use in remote areas. I rented a Sat phone down the Venice LA area but it wasnt necessary. Could have purchased a PLB so thinking anout picking one up. I know it has been discussed here before but cannot find anything in the search. 

What is the best device to have in the backcountry when phone is useless?  Assuming that VHF works and can reach someone in non-emergency situations. 

Don’t want to break the bank as I wont use often but I do need something for when it hits the fan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A buddy of mine was offshore of Apalachicola commercial fishing this summer when his boat filled full of water and rolled over.  His EPIRB saved his life.

In nice weather, I've been chasing snapper and grouper up to 30 miles offshore in my 2200V.

I bought one from International Marine after my buddy's boat turned turtle.  I think it was less than $300 and it has a ten year battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went PLB, that way I can carry it my drybag no matter who I fish with. I can also toss it in my hunting pack just in case. I know the battery in an EPIRB last longer and I believe but I'm not certain that EPIRB is supposed to float in a position to transmit where as some PLB need to be kept in a position to best transmit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer the Epirb as it self rights itself and has the longer battery life. It is also registered to the vessel and pertinent info is provided to NOAA. Such as vessel size, color, type, home port and so on. This info helps speed the launching of a SAR. As an example when I move the boat to the Keys in the summer I contact NOAA of the boats new home port for the time I'm there.

 

Either way I would have one or the other. And make sure you register them. It's a legal requirement. Just remember when the stuff hits the fan That VHF may not be a usable option if it is a fixed station VHF. Handhelds are very limited on range when your floating at sea level in a life jacket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PLB's made by "EPIRB" companies such as ACR do not need to be registered to a vessel and both operate the same way. The do by law need to be registered before activation. When activated transmit on 406mHz USSARSAT (Coast Guard and NOAA monitored nowadays) and can be used anywhere in the US. They transmit anywhere in the world but you need to register in your home country and the signal will initially be transmitted through that countries monitoring agency.

If the question is between a "satellite messenger" (SPOT, Delhorme, etc...) and a PLB/EPIRB... The differences are satellite messengers transmit though private satellite networks, mainly Globalstar Network, like a cell phone and are somewhat limited depending on the ground conditions, satellite coverage, bandwith purchased by service provider, etc... This is also why satellite messengers require a subscription fee just as cell and SAT phones, and PLBs/EPIRBs do not.

When it all goes wrong an EPIRB/PLB transmitting on 406mHz is the ONLY way to go, hands down, no questions asked. If you have the need to routinely send messages to friends and family on your trips than get as satellite messenger as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jason p said:

PLB's made by "EPIRB" companies such as ACR do not need to be registered to a vessel and both operate the same way. The do by law need to be registered before activation. When activated transmit on 406mHz USSARSAT (Coast Guard and NOAA monitored nowadays) and can be used anywhere in the US. They transmit anywhere in the world but you need to register in your home country and the signal will initially be transmitted through that countries monitoring agency.

If the question is between a "satellite messenger" (SPOT, Delhorme, etc...) and a PLB/EPIRB... The differences are satellite messengers transmit though private satellite networks, mainly Globalstar Network, like a cell phone and are somewhat limited depending on the ground conditions, satellite coverage, bandwith purchased by service provider, etc... This is also why satellite messengers require a subscription fee just as cell and SAT phones, and PLBs/EPIRBs do not.

When it all goes wrong an EPIRB/PLB transmitting on 406mHz is the ONLY way to go, hands down, no questions asked. If you have the need to routinely send messages to friends and family on your trips than get as satellite messenger as well.

Thanks for posting... exactly the info I was looking for to make a decision... ill be going with and EPIRB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fin, are you looking at one to keep on your boat or one you can keep with/on you?  

 

I’m torn. Wouldnt mind something I could keep om my vest as mentioned by others. 

 

Anyone have a recommendation on best place to find a deal?  May try REI and use the member rebate/discount. Think it is 20% off of a single item. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an ACR PLB for my Pathfinder.  I often take my Pathfinder 20-30 miles off shore in the summer on the right days and have been to Bimini on numerous occasions in it.  Aside from the PLB.  When I fish offshore with the wife and kids, I am usually with other boats , but a couple years ago I picked up a 4 person life raft too.  Its about the length & width of a  briefcase and aprox 15" thick but fits easily in any one of my hatches or in a large ditch bag I have.  So if crap really hits the fan, I have the PLB and 4 person life raft with canopy.    I dont think any precautions are overboard especially with my family on board.  The life raft was around $1,200.00 and has to be re-certified every few years, but worth it if I ever need it.  Nice knowing its there.  Im getting ready to upgrade to the PF 2600 TRS and will be adding an EPIRB to the arsenal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ChasinSnook said:

Im getting ready to upgrade to the PF 2600 TRS and will be adding an EPIRB to the arsenal. 

My buddy just bought one....see my review on the forum....

You change boats like most of us change cars :)

Hope you are well.....call me sometime if you want to fish Choko in a "baby skiff"- 1995 MA17 :)

 

dc

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

My buddy just bought one....see my review on the forum....

You change boats like most of us change cars :)

Hope you are well.....call me sometime if you want to fish Choko in a "baby skiff"- 1995 MA17 :)

 

dc

 

I know I am horrible, this one will take me out of Choko but going to pick up a used skiff too for my choko addiction.  All is well, hope the same for you, will call you soon, we will get on the water one of these days!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, rubble said:

Fin, are you looking at one to keep on your boat or one you can keep with/on you?  

 

I’m torn. Wouldnt mind something I could keep om my vest as mentioned by others. 

 

Anyone have a recommendation on best place to find a deal?  May try REI and use the member rebate/discount. Think it is 20% off of a single item. 

I think the one I can keep on me is what ill go with

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I’m reading correctly, the ACR Electronics AquaLink View Personal Locator Beacon has the ability to send “I’m Safe” type texts and do self tests thru the 406link.com deal. There is a $40 or $60 per year subscription fee. That may be a good option. Would like to also have ability to send a text that there is a problem, need help but not in imminent danger. Dont think that is an option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...