Opinion on Redfisher with older Optimax?

daygator

Tomorrow morning I am driving all the way from Pine Island to Daytona Beach (a long drive) to look at a 2002 18' Redfisher with a 2002 Optimax 135 on it.  The boat looks great in pictures.  I know nothing about these motors.  I mean nothing at all.  The Optimax has 804 hours on it.  The seller tells me no problems with it and serviced regularly. Typical seller / salesperson stuff I think.  Anyone have any opinions on this motor?  Good or bad?  I will have it checked out by a mechanic if I decide to buy, but I would defintely appreciate opinions if anyone has input on these motors before I make the long trek.

Short block is great.  Early optis were plagued with injector issues.  Mercury has many service bulletins superseding injector PN after injector PN.  The air pump or compressor that atomizes the fuel is also very pricey if it were to quit ($600-$800 new).  I would ask if injectors are original, have they ever been taken out and cleaned or flowed? Ask for service records, ask who has been servicing the engine (himself or a mechanic)?  Like all early generation technology (Ficht, HPDI, Opti, ETEC etc) they had their issues early on.  

Had a 2002 Opti 225hp on a Robalo and loved it. Changed filters, plugs regularly, ran ethanol free gas, and lower unit and it ran flawlessly. Sold a modified 250 EFI and was getting 2.5 - 3.60 mpg. A Robalo is a heavy boat and I was happy with the mileage. The 250 got almost 1.0 mpg.For a repower I would choose a Opti as I like two strokes and that motor was more reliable than the HPDI motor I had.

Archived