Boat lift with remote control

SCFD rtrd.

Thanks for the replies. We are buying a new condo that has an existing lift. We haven't closed yet, but trying to get some ideas on the boat lift so when we do close, that's the first thing to get addressed. The pilings are about 20 years old and they are low, about 2 to 3 ft. lower than the other pilings in our marina. So, that means that the I-beams that span between the pilings are about 5 ft. off the dock. I haven't measured, but most of the other owner's I-beams are about 7ft. off the dock. Anyone have any thoughts on how high the I-beams should be?

Additionally, has anyone else had the same experience as nsbpathfinder? Frequency problems causing the lift to self start ?

Normally, the manual switches are replaced by the GEM controller. If the remote mal-functions, I assume stuck on, I guess you are screwed. There’s an on/off switch in the box, or trip the breaker. If the remote breaks or is lost, you can also raise / lower from switches in control box. I don’t know what exactly you have, maybe did it a lot differently 20 years ago.

i have two brand new manual switchs that were cut off in my garage if you need.

Also, good advice on taller is better.  Mine are about 15 feet above the water at Homosassa and about 10 above the dock. Wish I would have gone higher. If you go higher with new piles, you may need new longer cables, too. They aren’t cheap, I’ve heard.

One last thought....your condo association may have a lot of say on piling heights. Read your covenants and deed restrictions. They may also consider the dock and piles as a common area. Maybe the association will pay to replace?

I have never heard of the “stray frequency” problem. My remote only works from inside 20 or 30 feet tops from the lift. Not at all like a garage door remote range.  I, too would like to hear this story and some more details. Sounds like I might need a limit switch wired in, which Deco sells

I have read the condo documents. The marina and docks are a common area, but the slips are assigned to each particular unit. The pilings &  lifts are the owners responsibility. I'll check with the marina committee to determine how high I can go. Just knowing higher is better will give a starting point. The lift is 3 years old, but just has the manual flip switches for lowering or raising. I read up on the limit switches and that sounds like a good idea just incase there is some sort of malfunction. Thanks for the offer on the switches, if I need them I'll send a PM.

12 hours ago, FROZEN said:

You don’t need the limit switch unless you have a radio remote. Do you have a remote?

Right now all I have is the hand switches ( one for each motor ) that are mounted on the outside of the elect. box. A remote control just makes since to me and I can see where a limit switch is necessary and convenient. From what I have read, if you have a limit switch, you don't have to hold down the button on the remote. All you have to do is push the button on the remote and release. The lift will stop itself when the limit switch activates. The limit switch would also prevent any stray frequency problems because it would stop the motors when the lift reached the pre-determined height or depth. I'm still learning.

A couple of comments. First, my dock and lifts are 2-3 feet higher than my neighbors. The walkway is 6 ft above mean high water. The extra height saved my boats from Irma so higher is better. Second you really should find a way to power off the lift when not in use. A simple switch negates the need for the limit switch and gives you some added security. Both of my lifts have the power switches in the house. You probably can't do that but the 2 motor Gem main box can be fitted with an on/off switch and locked.

Hope that helps and good luck with your purchase.

I have Gem Remotes lift controller with up/down switch inside the box as well as remote.  Nice to have both for sure.  It also has on/off switch inside the box like others mentioned.  I remember dock installer advising to always leave in off position when not using as well as turn off the main dock breaker when gone on vacation, etc.  I do not have a lock on mine but not a bad idea especially in a community setting.

I use the GEM Remotes too and they are amazingly convenient. It makes single-handling your boat so much easier. I just pull in, hold the side of the dock to keep the boat in position and then hit the switch.  Simple.  It’s not an inexpensive addition to your lift, but worth every penny. 

I use Gem remotes also and in addition to all the advantages of remote and automatic stop, after launching my boat i hit the up

button on my remote so the lift raises to the automatic stop position and is not in the water for the day while I'm out in my boat.

Don't know if it really matters but i feel better about it not being in  the water all day.

48 minutes ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

I use Gem remotes also and in addition to all the advantages of remote and automatic stop, after launching my boat i hit the up

button on my remote so the lift raises to the automatic stop position and is not in the water for the day while I'm out in my boat.

Don't know if it really matters but i feel better about it not being in  the water all day.

Joe, I think it does matter if the lift is left in the water all day. Apparently there is stray current around that adds to galvanic corrosion. The new condo has 24 boats on lifts and I'm sure that someone has less than perfect wiring which would contribute to stray current. Most articles that I read suggest disconnecting the power between uses to prevent galvanic corrosion. But, every owner is not going to disconnect the power, so keeping the lift out of the water is just one more way to prevent corrosion.

Archived