OSlawyer

I am wondering whether there is any sort of standardized, optimal trailer set up for my 1996 19' Hewes Redfisher.  For that matter, is there a "best setup" for each model of the mgb boats? Given there are a finite number of hull designs, it would seem to make sense that there is one or maybe two trailer setups for each that would best support the hull while trailering and provide the easiest means of launching and retrieving the boat to and from the water. 

I replaced my trailer a few years ago and the company the set it up for me installed two bunks under the rear half of the boat and a roller under the center line of the boat toward the bow. After a few years of launching and putting the boat back up onto the trailer, the roller has punched a hole in the bottom of the boat. It would be nice to be able to have a layout reference or guide for the boat which I could follow or direct the trailer company to follow.

the front roller should only support the hull while it is being loaded. it is to prevent the keel from hitting the front cross member while the trailer is at an angle. once the hull is fully on the trailer the keel should be off the front roller and supported by the bunks. or at least not be supporting any weight.

I was going to suggest front bunks for more support and they help guide the boat straight to the bow stop. Again the roller is just there to keep the keel from hitting the trailer and should not support any weight. If you use adjustable bunk brackets and 2x4's lying flat, you can adjust the front of the bunk to arc up and conform to the shaped of the hull. Always place the bunks as close to the stringers as possible. This is the strongest part of the hull. Another suggestion is to sink the trailer a little deeper. This keeps the hull from rubbing the carpet and prevents damage to hull, carpet and bunks. Power loading is not good for the trailer, boat hull or the ramp.

I load my boat like an old lady just for the simple reason that it prevents damage to carpet, bunks and the hull. I don't mind winching the last 18 to 24 inches.

Archived