16 hewes redfisher (2008) 3 blade prop vs 4 blade

Tallawah

I own a 2008 16 redfisher with a 2008 yamaha F90  and just went though the ordeal of prop search for the boat.

I spoke with the manufacture and went on line and yes the 3 blade - 16p x13.25d stainless is an awesome prop i was still having a steering pull to the right.

I adjusted the steering  trim tab on the motor lower end and that did help some but not completely.

I changed the prop to a 4 blade aluminum - 15p x13d and what a difference  - 

The hole shot jumped up, the steering pull almost totally disappeared, and the speed at  WOT at 6,000 rpms was 2 mph less than the 3 blade stainless.

The motor ran a lot smoother and quieter.  i could not believe the difference the prop changed made. 

I called the tech guy at the shop and told him how happy I was with the new prop and  he was not surprised, 

I am not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience.

2 minutes ago, Tallawah said:

I had the stock yamaha  stainless that the boat comes with from the factory.

I would run wot 6,000 rpm and the gps said i was doing 40mph

I went to an aluminum  4 blade by solas - amita 4.

I do like this prop allot and I did loose 2-3 mph at wot.6,000 rpm per gps.

The hole shot is truly awesome.

I am thinking about a Bobs 4" set back Jackplate but I can not find another RF 16 with one to learn from.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

Have an 02 Kevlar Bonefisher 16 bought in 05, not the same animal as the Redfisher but had the same issues as it had a stock aluminum 3 blade on the 90 Yam 2 stk.  Horrible.  my cousin owned Precision Propellor at the time and tested a number of props.  Finally landed on a ported 3 and a ported 4 blade, sorry don't have the numbers.  Bottom line was the 4 was the cat's meow, a couple mph slower than the 3.  almost zero bow rise to plane and light load slight chop does 41.4 @ 5600 and no loss of grip in turns.  Marcus agreed it was a good set up back then.

It took me more than a while to learn how to trim her depending upon speed, load and chop.  From standing start to whatever speed you choose, the skiff is more sensitive than one would think it to be, but once the motor and tab combo is right, the light bulb turns on and it's easy to find the sweet spot.  Have a vented tunnel tiller Caimen with a 50 and a jack plate......even more sensitive, but awesome when all the planets are lined up. 

I would never add a jack plate to the Hewes, nor hang more weight on the transom.....don't know about the Redfisher but the Bone wasn't designed for it.  My two pennies.

48 minutes ago, CORBO said:

Gentlemen,

Have an 02 Kevlar Bonefisher 16 bought in 05, not the same animal as the Redfisher but had the same issues as it had a stock aluminum 3 blade on the 90 Yam 2 stk.  Horrible.  my cousin owned Precision Propellor at the time and tested a number of props.  Finally landed on a ported 3 and a ported 4 blade, sorry don't have the numbers.  Bottom line was the 4 was the cat's meow, a couple mph slower than the 3.  almost zero bow rise to plane and light load slight chop does 41.4 @ 5600 and no loss of grip in turns.  Marcus agreed it was a good set up back then.

It took me more than a while to learn how to trim her depending upon speed, load and chop.  From standing start to whatever speed you choose, the skiff is more sensitive than one would think it to be, but once the motor and tab combo is right, the light bulb turns on and it's easy to find the sweet spot.  Have a vented tunnel tiller Caimen with a 50 and a jack plate......even more sensitive, but awesome when all the planets are lined up. 

I would never add a jack plate to the Hewes, nor hang more weight on the transom.....don't know about the Redfisher but the Bone wasn't designed for it.  My two pennies.

CORBO,  was your cousin Jim Boee ? Having the man who invented the Turbo prop help set that thing up had to be cool.   I bet you had a prop or two to test and fine tune .  Joe R

Yep, Jim Booe.  Jim sold to Yamaha several years ago, son Chris runs it for them now.  Unfortunately lost his wife recently.  Great guy and doing well.  He had the skiff on his test lake (Hamilton) in FL for a month or so banging stainless as he liked to say............ posted his test results on here years ago.  Bones are hardly race boats that he was accustomed to working on but he and his guys really put a wheel on it that got and still gets the most out of it.......will never sell it.

1 hour ago, CORBO said:

Yep, Jim Booe.  Jim sold to Yamaha several years ago, son Chris runs it for them now.  Unfortunately lost his wife recently.  Great guy and doing well.  He had the skiff on his test lake (Hamilton) in FL for a month or so banging stainless as he liked to say............ posted his test results on here years ago.  Bones are hardly race boats that he was accustomed to working on but he and his guys really put a wheel on it that got and still gets the most out of it.......will never sell it.

I wouldn't sell it either thats a keeper .   After he was done banging on it and testing and banging some more thats a one of a kind . Joe R

6 hours ago, dabear said:

I wouldn't sell it either thats a keeper .   After he was done banging on it and testing and banging some more thats a one of a kind . Joe R

You know it.  rewired, moved stuff around a little since then,  and that's it........no troller, pole it where you need to,  stand on the front of the girl and fish.  People should not talk about these boats, leave them alone and fish them as they are....BUT know them.    Good Jimmy was family, bunch of free props that didn't work........and those that did.  thanks for your comments JR and will tell Jim when I see him.  He's redoing his Mooney and last I talked was  building the frame and running gear for an old side oiler 427 he had laying around to build an SC Cobra complete with an alum body.duplicate that a guy in Indy built a few of to spec 35+ years ago.  Small project he's up to.....and me, can't wait to be scared in the right seat @ 69 yrs.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I am now running a jack plate 

I have the same 2008 Hewes redfisher 16 boat but with a Bobs Jack plate with a 4" set back

I am having issues with a prop cavitation now

I am now running a Solas Amita  13d x 15p - 4 blade and not happy with the top end but love the hole shot.

I have been told to put double cup into the prop to stop cavitation on the turns especially.

I can not get the jack plate over 3 before I blow out .

Any info / input is appreciated on prop choice.  Thanks