96 17MA fuel leak

KWConch

Hey fellas,

Long story short I'm looking for some help putting a new gas tank in my 96 17MA. Is it possible to remove tank by only taking off the cap? Does the floor have to be cut as well. The boat has been redone by previous owner but it looks bone stock. Any advice would be grately appreciated.image.thumb.png.a7d49df38d46a7f8c6c8efdeef932e6e.png

2 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Pull the cap or cut the floor out, only two ways to get it out. I believe the cockpit floor will come off with the cap. Please take some pics and document if you don't mind. 

Can anyone confirm that the cockpit floor comes off with the cap?  Conocean, didn't you have a 17 MA re-done?  Any recollection?

45 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Gotcha - I thought you did a cap off restoration on yours, but may have misheard.

I sold my 17MA & ordered an 18HPX instead of doing a complete refit (tank, rewire, pumps, spray deck, repower) which would've run me approximately $20k to do it the way I wanted to. The cost of doing the refit didn't scare me off but I wanted to pole & run skinnier so it made sense for me to move into a different fishing platform.

On 12/12/2017 at 5:42 AM, FLDXT said:

Pull the cap or cut the floor out, only two ways to get it out. I believe the cockpit floor will come off with the cap. Please take some pics and document if you don't mind. 

I will definitely post pics of the project. I am surprised I haven't found any on this model. Thanks for the help.

17 hours ago, slyshon said:

Best and most cost effective way is to remove the console and cut the floor.  I would suggest you speak with Ray Ayres up here as he can lend some insight as to how to.

Skip

17 hours ago, slyshon said:

Best and most cost effective way is to remove the console and cut the floor.  I would suggest you speak with Ray Ayres up here as he can lend some insight as to how to.

Skip

Thanks Skip for giving me a contact. I'm gonna give him a call today. 

20 hours ago, slyshon said:

Skip

Skip, Would it be the same on the 96 18.5 MA as well ya reckon? No issues on mine but curious...just in case.

Mr Skip, in all your free time at MBC, maybe do a youtube video on how to replace the tanks in these older MA? It would sure help us die hards handle what we know is coming one day down the road with these classics.... ; )......I'm dying to see one of these!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived