Hewes Red Fisher 16 with a Jack Plate ??

Tallawah

I am looking to put a Bobs 4" set back hydraulic jack plate on the back of my 2008 Hewes RF 16.

I have a yamaha F90 0n the boat and run a 4 blade solas amita (13d x 15p)

i want  to have engine power  in the skinny water and not rely on the trolling motor to get me into deeper water.

Has anyone put a Jack Plate on a 16 Red Fisher and what were the results ?

I have a 2008 RF 16' with a 4" jackplate by Atlas (micro-jacker). It is a hair lighter than the regular ones. It was fairly easy to install with a friends help.

Pros- helps with shallow water starts and you can adjust engine height on the fly. When idling the shallow flats you can raise the engine vertically instead of trimming with the tilt function.

Cons- affected my draft by maybe an inch +\-.

Side note- it did nothing for the porpoising that this model is known for ( I knew it wouldn't but wanted the versatility of the jack plate).

I hope this helps.

26 minutes ago, lurem said:

I have a 2008 RF 16' with a 4" jackplate by Atlas (micro-jacker). It is a hair lighter than the regular ones. It was fairly easy to install with a friends help.

Pros- helps with shallow water starts and you can adjust engine height on the fly. When idling the shallow flats you can raise the engine vertically instead of trimming with the tilt function.

Cons- affected my draft by maybe an inch +\-.

Side note- it did nothing for the porpoising that this model is known for ( I knew it wouldn't but wanted the versatility of the jack plate).

I hope this helps.

X2.   I ran a BMS hyd.jack-plate 4 inch set back  on a 2003 16 RF with a 115 2 stroke tlrb , helped bow lift w.o needing so much positive trim . i could idle out of fairly shallow areas with the motor jacked up all the way which was good for both the bottom and my prop . Joe R 

x3 what Lurem and Dabear said.  I think the BMS 4" JP that you are considering will have the pump unit mounted inside the boat, which is good for less weight on the transom.  I have an Atlas jack plate installed on my Redfisher 16 with a Yamaha VF115.  Like Lurem said, it will increase your draft a bit and you may get some stern squat.  Adding a JP did not increase (or decrease) porpoising at all, on my boat.  I had to use tabs at most speeds except WOT before adding the JP, and still do after adding the JP.

Archived