Seadek install

SouthernWake

I'm pretty sure I'm not breaking new ground here but thought I would put this up for anyone else thinking of installing it themselves.

I had kicked around the idea of getting seadek for awhile but didn't want to shell out the money or pay less for a product that wouldn't hold up and be a pain to scrape the remains off a few months later. Well seadek had a 50% off and free shipping special so I figured this was my shot and picked up one large sheet and one long one. I went with this pattern to hopefully hide stains and any misaligned pieces.

Traced and cut the templates from some thin sheet plastic I found, it ended up being too thin and tear prone which didn't make things easy.

I used a razor to cut everything but it is slightly sandable for any mismatched edges. It also will stretch some which helps.

While it's not perfect this is a fishing boat and I don't need it to be. 
Fished the other weekend in the rain and it has better traction than the old diamond non skid. I'm hoping it's a little easier on my legs after a day fishing barefoot.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had some time to tackle my Seadek install in the cockpit only.  The nonskid was shot and figured the Seadek would be nice.

Also scored the Mica colored material for 50% off on black Friday deal - around $200 total, and picked up a 45 degree bevel foam cutter (Link).  I made the mylar template quite some time ago (and then got sticker shock from the pros).  We did some practice cuts and got a better result cutting through the bottom.  With the cutter I had to work about an 1/8th inch inside the line.  No doubt the curves are very difficult.  We found if you cut the curves during the long cuts they came out better than trying curve straight cuts later.  Maybe the blade binds up the material a bit.  Fortunately the material sands fairly well and cleans up some of the messiness.  Sticking down the big pieces is challenging too - it was hard to see if there was any variation in the alignment.  Strangely the material seemed to shrink almost a 1/2 inch on the long runs after peeling the paper.

All in all it came out pretty good.  Definitely not as sharp as the pros with laser dimension tools, CAD cleanup and 4D CNC machines, but then again several hundred dollars less for a long afternoon of work.  It seems there is some variation in color between the rolls.  

Good enough - time to fish!

Cheers,

Bud

Sorry, pics rotated for some reason.

IMG_7663.thumb.JPG.e7ee165761a27a174f980394a4a95dd1.JPGIMG_7665.thumb.JPG.8dee333a0a709b76f8687c58e2eb3943.JPGIMG_7666.thumb.JPG.305795ef8d36ae9ecc4da37b93930cbd.JPGIMG_7667.thumb.JPG.56cdd7e86709b3f394708920790d9919.JPG

44 minutes ago, Bud_man said:

I finally had some time to tackle my Seadek install in the cockpit only.  The nonskid was shot and figured the Seadek would be nice.

Also scored the Mica colored material for 50% off on black Friday deal - around $200 total, and picked up a 45 degree bevel foam cutter (Link).  I made the mylar template quite some time ago (and then got sticker shock from the pros).  We did some practice cuts and got a better result cutting through the bottom.  With the cutter I had to work about an 1/8th inch inside the line.  No doubt the curves are very difficult.  We found if you cut the curves during the long cuts they came out better than trying curve straight cuts later.  Maybe the blade binds up the material a bit.  Fortunately the material sands fairly well and cleans up some of the messiness.  Sticking down the big pieces is challenging too - it was hard to see if there was any variation in the alignment.  Strangely the material seemed to shrink almost a 1/2 inch on the long runs after peeling the paper.

All in all it came out pretty good.  Definitely not as sharp as the pros with laser dimension tools, CAD cleanup and 4D CNC machines, but then again several hundred dollars less for a long afternoon of work.  It seems there is some variation in color between the rolls.  

Good enough - time to fish!

Cheers,

Bud

Sorry, pics rotated for some reason.

IMG_7663.thumb.JPG.e7ee165761a27a174f980394a4a95dd1.JPGIMG_7665.thumb.JPG.8dee333a0a709b76f8687c58e2eb3943.JPGIMG_7666.thumb.JPG.305795ef8d36ae9ecc4da37b93930cbd.JPGIMG_7667.thumb.JPG.56cdd7e86709b3f394708920790d9919.JPG

Great Job! I have the same boat and have been tossing around the idea of Seadeck. By the way do you have a backrest installed for you bench seat and if so, which backrest did you go with?

Archived