Off shore on 18.5 MA

Thought I would post this fish'n report since reports have been slim. NOAA had predicted 1-2' seas on Friday . I had checked the seas and wind since early that AM, always showed less 10kts, tree tops were calm as of 9AM so I pulled the trigger. Grabbed some bait at Lanark Market,launched 'ole Greenbone at 10:30 for 13 mile trek to a new hole I was told that held some grouper in 40'. Got to the public # but bottom looked flat,idled a few hundred yards till a long crevice showed up, found some nice rubble and quickly put the anchor lock on. Believe me when I tell you the 1st six drops were 20-23" gags. Then wam--pulled in a nice 25". Next few drops were like the 1st six-all shorts. I tried to work 2 rods hanging one each rod holder but the bite was on, so it was just waste of bait if you didn't man the rod. I baited up a whole sardine ,dropped it down, 5 seconds later, rod was slammed, whoa , dang, fight on- that's when you find that drag was not quite tight enough!!
Visions of grey man in the suit , danged big ole red snapper all danced in my head. Saw the color, Grouper!! Landed a 29 ½ " 
Gag came in to the boat. The snapper moved in as usual so I packed up and headed for the hill. Even a flats boat can get lucky off

image.jpeg

Archived