92 18MA Restore, Tank Removal - DIY

RokGrdn

Has anyone removed an original fuel tank from a 92 18 Master Angler? I have been searching this forum and others for info. I'm in the process of restoring mine and need to figure out if I can remove the tank from the cockpit deck. There doesn't seem to be much room to tilt and pull the tank out from the deck area, unless its just a matter of cutting the deck far back enough. The other problem I'm wondering about is how the tank is secured, and any methods to get it out. Help is much appreciated, thanks.

I have been working on removing all the hardware and repairing fiberglass. I have the console removed so I figured I would look into replacing the tank even if I don't have leaks.Pretty sure I have a 45gal tank but thinking of replacing it with a 35-40 gal smaller Moeller Marine permanent tank since I'm running a F150. Still researching......

20171217_154252.jpg

Don't have any Maverick specs to give, just what I would do. Look through the holes  find the edges of the tank add an inch or two mark it on the deck, cut out a rectangle directly over the tank. I would assume there are some tabs on the tank and it is screwed to the stringer, with foam around it. Maybe foam, not sure.

I think your doing the right thing by replacing the tank now. Personally I would want the biggest tank possible, if its 45 I would stay with 45, unless there is huge price difference. Good luck. keep posting some progress pics.

Do you have an aluminum tank or a poly tank?   I had a boat builder take a look at my 2000, because i was considering replacing the tank when I deal with the other issue.  When he saw the tank, he was impressed and said there was absolutely no reason to pull it out of there, but that if it had been aluminum, he would have advised it.   That surprised me, so curious if others would say the same.

17 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Do you have an aluminum tank or a poly tank?   I had a boat builder take a look at my 2000, because i was considering replacing the tank when I deal with the other issue.  When he saw the tank, he was impressed and said there was absolutely no reason to pull it out of there, but that if it had been aluminum, he would have advised it.   That surprised me, so curious if others would say the same.

Aluminum, doesn't look too bad but its old, I'm thinking of going with the ploy tank now. 

IMG_20130801_190426_610.jpg

IMG_20130801_190445_678.jpg

I had a lot of rust on the top and front of the fuel tank of my 2004 HPX when I bought it used. The rust was from old anchors, hardware and other items routinely stored in the forward compartment by the previous owner. The tank itself is solid. If I were you, I'd proceed with the other refurb projects and leave the tank alone. If you find out later that you need to remove it, you are really not in any worse shape as far as gaining access to that area. 

7 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

Yours looks alot more "user friendly" then my 17MA. Might want to contact TNT tanks, Ft. Pierce, in my 17MA it's a 42 gallon, may be an option for you. Any chance you are in the Tally area? Looking at your screen name.

I'm in the Ponte Vedra area near St. Augustine, I'll look them up

My tank started leaking 8-10 years ago on my 93 18.5 MA. I called Maverick and they gave me who to call that made the tanks. BTY mine is a 50 gallon aluminum tank. They built a new tank and shipped it to me .Since I was this working at the time , Mikes Marine in St Marks Fl cut out the floor , replaced the tank and replaced the floor. The whole job at the time was around $2200.

good luck

Don

Archived