Classic Lappy Redfisher. *reduced price*

johnd

Got my “new” boat and just wasn’t sure I could let my Lappy go...took out new boat today & fell in love

92 hull, 140 4 stroke Suzuki (all service records), IPilot, Talon, Garmin with sidescan, SeaDek, new torsion axel, Bimini, cover, etc etc. Will put new TM batteries in (robbed them for new boat)..SeaDek in cockpit is worm.    how about $16,750 or best offer.  Located Merritt Island  

New, to me, boat in driveway..bride says I can only have one boat at a time...  3 Photos ADDED   Deck when Seadek new (one floor section now bad, will be replaced)  Starboard bow on lift and poling platform    I'll get more photos over the holidays.

Visiting the offices of Maverick Boat Group, you will see a framed article from I think the 1992 issue of Men’s Life Magazine..the top 10 things every man should own: the 1992 Hewes Redfisher

Hewes: the first name in shallow water fishing.  Reluctantly for sale is the 18’ Classic “Lappy” Redfisher.  Her 1992 hull features the wide open deck design of the offset console.  Starting at her bow with a large forward casting deck, Minn Kota 24volt IPilot trolling motor mounted on quick release bracket and battery outlet, the anchor/storage hatch (here also two trolling motor batteries in Todd Double battery box). Flush a Stainless female threaded insert to secure a casting platform.  Stepping back into the cockpit under gunnel rod horizontal rod racks (long enough for fly rods), the helm is offset starboard, many consider a far more open, functional design than center console. The large aft casting deck has two large dry storage areas, aft center livewell, port release well (or storage) and starboard access to starting batteries, pumps, fuel/water filter.  The poling platform has been rebuilt about 4” higher, booth for visibility and to accommodate the 2011 Suzuki 4 stroke 140hp engine with a matched 3 blade Stainless PowerTech prop.  On the transom trim tabs, 8ft Silver Talon shallow water anchor and Garmin downview / sideview transducer.

The helm is simple & functional. A RAM bracket holds the Garmin color GPS/sounder (7sv) the Richie  compass, and below the rewired switches for lights, pumps, etc.  

The cockpit, gunnels, forward & aft decks and poling platform are covered in 8mil (double thick) SeaDek custom installed by Castaway Customs.  DriDeck in all storage areas.  

Not a speed demon, WOT just over 40mph with one person 1/2 tank fuel.  Cruises very well around 4200 rpm @26-28mph.   The classic Hewes designed hull cuts well into tight chop. With a great hole shot, up on plane in under 2 seconds. 

Trailering, launch and retrieve accomplished with the aluminum trailer. Bunks recently recovered, Ancor tinned wire to the LED lighting. New radial tires.  Recent replacement with upgraded 3500lb torsion axle, she is ready for a quick trip to the ramp and a long ride to the next MBG Owners “funament” weekend fishing adventure 

Additional items include removable Bimini top, full canvass cover, “bass style” seat and maybe my casting platform and Carbon Marine Loop push pole.

Still, this is not a new boat - don’t expect her to look like one.  ..numerous chips, scratches and battle scars are evidence of memories, fish caught and adventurous journeys she’s been on. 

Regularly maintained, have most every manual, receipt etc since 2010.  Serviced 20 hours ago, did not plan to buy a new boat

Offered at $18,900    purchased new boat and Hewes must go.  

Located Merritt Island, Fl.  PM for photos & such.  Will include a big ribbon if you get this week as a gift for Christmas :)

bow.jpg

plat.jpg

sdek.jpg

Gabe, you can tell from the angle of the engine.  It is clearly 2:00 ET in the same general lattitude as Tierra Verde, and that is a 92 Hewes.  Look closely at the intersection of the poling platform leg shadow and the lower unit shadow.  Its a blue and whit hewes, obviously.  

Sheesh, need me to spell this out for you?

35 minutes ago, fsusteve said:

A pic would be great, like any pic.

Sorry, I have lots of real photos, many have been on this forum as I decked her out.  Just none on iPad when I wrote this.   But really, classic  Lappy look pretty much the same :)   I’ll shoot some tomorrow & post.  

The floor SeaDek, mostly where passengers feet go, has discolored and very top gray worn.  Worn badly.  It’s about $400 to replace that one piece.  Yesterday I noticed a yellow stain where my feet go.something more serious than coffee or beer must have spilled.  Tyler has the computer files, but they were slammed busy last week and now closed for the holidays.   She’s under cover now, holiday activities, got new Garmin for “new boat” so if I get time will work on that.  Just think people thinking about should know before they get here to ride and be disappointed.  

Well aware I’m asking Top money for my skiff, however I fully expect to accept a slightly more realistic offer.  Wife already complaining I have project boat in yard, grandsons sailboat in front yard and her driveway has my Hewes in it.  All to say, if you know someone wanting a tricked out 18 Lappy, please send them my way.  

On 12/30/2017 at 8:49 AM, Nag Juice said:

Market for used boats is tough. 

I don’t know Nag Juice.  I get with easy $ new boats are selling super fast, many mfgs in back order..I’m a new broker with only 5 boats currently listed (21’ to 47’). Since Christmas I’ve had 4 inquiries on the bigger expensive boats and one prospect on the smallest.  In the case of well respected brands (all of the MBC boats) there appears a solid following.   

On 12/31/2017 at 6:48 PM, johnd said:

I don’t know Nag Juice.  I get with easy $ new boats are selling super fast, many mfgs in back order..I’m a new broker with only 5 boats currently listed (21’ to 47’). Since Christmas I’ve had 4 inquiries on the bigger expensive boats and one prospect on the smallest.  In the case of well respected brands (all of the MBC boats) there appears a solid following.   

So you're listing this boat as a broker, and its not yours?

This is my personal boat.  I bought about 8 years ago, rewired, new power, new most everything and thought my Lappy would be my last boat.  Fish the Lagoon for Reds & trout..have poled friends and sight fished, my personal best trout on fly, , IRL from Titusville to Ft. pierce, st Johns in the winter for specks, shad & sunshine, taken to MBC funaments, fished the keys & Choko, scollops on the west coast.  I built this boat for me. Invested a lot of $ and time to build a boat for what I love to do.      Last spring with my wife in Bokeelia she expressed how hard riding the flat seat is on her back (she has a Harrington rod in her back since age 12). I started looking for something that would be better for her to join me as she is retiring.  I’m giving up the super skinny, but gaining comfort and opportunity to expand nearshore chasing tarpon, Cobia etc where at my age I no longer feel comfortable in a skiff.

I found a Comet, built in Titusville. A tad bigger, 3” more draft, but still a flats deck design with huge seat and cat hull.  I’m redoing it now. Can’t have 2 boats (wife’s rule, long story), so the Lappy has to go.  The toughest part of buying this new boat was, and is, having to sell my Lappy.  Yeah, it’s “just a boat”, but somehow, of all the boats I’ve owned, this Lappy is special to me.  And technically leaving the MBC. “Family” *** too.  Life changes 

Agree.  When I respond on THT, FB, various owners groups I always ID myself as a broker or indicate if a broker friend is listing.  Heck even on CL I say I’m a broker.  Even with all our rules (Florida license) I don’t think we are required to disclose, but to me one should.

Just pulled the AGM trolling batteries out for my new project...new owner gets new batteries.  I know this awesome boat probably not gonna get $19k..but hey, no harm asking :)   Dropped a couple of boat dollars on new project this week..be nice to replace some funds, so reasonable offer will be accepted.  

• 1 month later...

"I’m redoing it now. Can’t have 2 boats (wife’s rule, long story)"

Rats!!! I know how you feel!!! I think it's something women are born with. In my case it got really bad with my wife when I was up to four boats. Went down to three and she still had it. Went down to two boats and it was still there. I give up!  :):) 

RL2 -    Boat is still for sale.  Covered on trailer in my driveway.  Merritt Island.  

Don:  had offshore on the lift, skiff on trailer, kayak and canoe at dock.. failed to mention the flatback (kind of a gheeno) I kept in a neighbors porch... Not home before dark she got worried,  counted boats and toys, called my son and found out I had bought the little flatback... opps...that was one cold Feb night a few years ago wife was very happy when USCG called and said 'we have found your husband, he is ok".   Once she got over being happy I was found, well... my boat collection was a casualty.   :)  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived