HPX 15 with 50HP?

hawg

14 hours ago, hawg said:

Roger the weight sensitivity. The new Yamaha F-50's (and F60's) only weigh about 25 pounds more than the F-40. For the boost in horsepower, I'd be willing to drop that much weight myself.

My wife has volunteered me to help you!  Hmmmmmmm.....

No, I think an 17 HPX with a 90 will do about 47 wide open (HPX 17 owners correct me if I'm wrong). But even at 40, I could run 20 miles in 1/2 hour. Since I don't like running engines wide open, the cruise speed of my 15HPX is in the low to mid 20's so it takes me nearly an hour to run 20 miles.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2005 HPX 15 and about a year ago I came across a 2-stroke 50 Yamaha, sold my F40 and replaced it with the 50TLR. In my opinion that is the motor this boat should have been powered with from the factory. lost some weight (189lb vs 233lb), more torque, gained about 8-9 mph WOT and fuel burn is about the same if not slightly better. If you can find a well cared for 50TLR I would not hesitate to throw one on your boat. I was getting very close to buying a Key West/Key Largo, swapping my F40 for the 50TLR and then selling the Key West just get the motor.

• 4 years later...

Want to resurrect this thread and get some prop input if I can.. just got a 2005 15 hpx and I’m getting ready to swap a 2014 Yamaha f50 onto It. Boat came with a f40 tlrd, same engine I’m running on my pathfinder 15t but I am DONE dealing with the carbs. Got a good deal on the 50. Prop that came with boat only turns the 40 4600rpm wot at like 26 mph. Looks like they are same shaft spline so I have a 3 blade and a 4 blade off my 15t I can test. Just want to see if I’m gonna be in the ball park. Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

The 15's are rated for a 40hp. When I contacted Maverick they said it CAN have a bigger motor, but they would not officially announce that. Many people have re-powered them with 50's 60's. If I could get a good deal on my 40 then I would consider repowering with a 50, but I only have 887hrs on my 40 and havent had any issues with it. I dont typically make very long runs, the upgrade would just be fun.