Which side to mount t.m. on

Baykatz5

24 minutes ago, Baykatz5 said:

I notice everyone mounts there trolling motor on the port side. Is there a reason for this. I have a 98 MA, it seems like the anchor locker door will hit the motor when stowed. Any feed back?

On the hewes and mavericks that I have owned there was a metal support built in under the deck on the port side and most of the mounting bolt holes went through the mount the deck and the reinforcement plate .  I dont think most of the decks have this support on both sides  .     Joe R 

The only sure method to determine the proper placement is to set the entire unit (motor and mount) on the deck. Move it around, front to back and side to side. Open all hatches, look at lights, cleats and anything that might interfere with the operation of, or storing of the TM. I like mounting on the port side, because that's what I use to.  But, if mounting on the starboard side is more reasonable and functional, then do it. Even if there is no factory installed mounting plate, you can always thru-bolt with large washers. Let us know how it works out.

18 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

The only sure method to determine the proper placement is to set the entire unit (motor and mount) on the deck. Move it around, front to back and side to side. Open all hatches, look at lights, cleats and anything that might interfere with the operation of, or storing of the TM. I like mounting on the port side, because that's what I use to.  But, if mounting on the starboard side is more reasonable and functional, then do it. Even if there is no factory installed mounting plate, you can always thru-bolt with large washers. Let us know how it works out.

x2. another reason for port or stb. in my case is the way I dock my boat, kept in water. stb. side to dock. I would not let the backing plate be the deciding factor. it's what works best for YOU !!!!!.

Archived