Salt Deposits Or?

gambler1

2007 Pathfinder, Went to give it a good wax today and certain places on the Exterior hull sides have a rough feel. Mainly on the front. Can this be salt or road grime? Anyway I hit it with the buffer and some Colonite wax and it won't come off. any idea ? next step may be to try the vinegar sponge trick. If it is salt cooked on over time will it come off? I wash this boat after every trip and I want to have it smooth like glass.

May be road grime if it's only on the front portion of the hull. May want to try a clay bar, they work amazing getting embedded grime out of paint on cars. You just have to put a coat of wax on immediately afterwards.

This is what I use on our vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-CLY_113-Synthetic-Lubricant/dp/B0186RUIGO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514771870&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=clay+bar+kits&psc=1

Try using your finger nail to scrape off a very small area. If it comes off with your finger nail, I'd bet that it's dried salt. You can shine a light parallel to the hull and see if the rough stuff looks like tiny fish scales. That is what dried salt looks like. Or just try a little Vinegar on a sponge. If it's dried salt, it will come right off with very little effort.

Not sure how good the Vinegar will work if you already waxed over the salt. Vinegar will not cut though the wax. If the Vinegar and a sponge doesn't work, you might have to wash the area with dawn to remove the wax first.  

What you are describing (rough feeling, mostly on the front of the hull) is exactly what got me started using Vinegar.

I don't know where you are, but here in south Florida there are a ton of minerals in the tap water. If I let it dry on my boat or motor, particularly on a hot sunny day, it leaves rough spots. I've taken to drying the boat with a synthetic chamois just to keep the spots from forming. When I do get them, I use vinegar to cut through them and finish up with some polishing compound. It's such a pain to remove the spots that it makes it worth the trouble to dry the boat quickly after I wash it.

Archived