Clear fly lines

NCTribute

I have it. Bought it last October, 9wt. I intially used it on my 9wt Sage XI3. I had to replace  the RIO all around salt water 9wtWF that I had so I picked up the Air Flo. Did so because of hearing good things relating to their lines. Wanted to buy the Bruce Chard Tropical Punch, but it was not available. However, as you mentioned the head is quite  heavy,seemed to be a lot of"hang time" in the air. I could cast it but I decided to try it on a different rod so so I recently spooled it on another reel to try on my XI3 10wt. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity yet to try it out on my 10wt. I am not an expert but perhaps you should research the Tropical Punch I mentioned and compare. 

I liked and still do the aspect of having a full floating line with the clear tip, have not any other experiences with Air Flo.

I've been using Cortland liquid crystal for the last year and I really like it. I had major issues with 11 and 12wt Airflo Ridge Clear (entire length is clear) a couple years ago, manufacturing issue that I'm sure has been resolved, switched to the Cortland and never went back. The only down side I see to the Cortland is once the water gets a little cold (below 75) it coils alot.

I think too that the Air Flo Ridge Clear Tip Tropical is truly that. I was using it  in water temps above 75 deg. (early October Placida, Boca Grande) and it was coiling bad. I am wondering how different the individual "tropical" lines are.  Most specs that I have read concerning lines state above 75deg. but thinking some should be used in water that is much warmer. 

I have considered the Tropical Punch, but am interested in the clear tip aspect. I went ahead and ordered three line sizes of the clear tip, 8wt, 11wt and 12wt. Will likely be too cold here in NC to use near term, but will be using it during April in Pine Island and May in Islamorada and Key West. Rods will be Scott Meridian 8wt, Hardy Proaxis 11 & 12 wt, Orvis Helios 2 one piece 12 wt. Will post results.

Most of the reviews I have found like the clear tip, but no one ever mentioned the weight, but online reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. The lines I will be comparing to will be Airflo Tarpon 11 & 12 wt and Scientific Anglers Bonefish 8wt. Have given up on Rio lines due to poor handling/coiling. Would like to try Cortland and Monic lines, but do not want my life savings invested in fly lines.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, jason p said:

I've been using Cortland liquid crystal for the last year and I really like it. I had major issues with 11 and 12wt Airflo Ridge Clear (entire length is clear) a couple years ago, manufacturing issue that I'm sure has been resolved, switched to the Cortland and never went back. The only down side I see to the Cortland is once the water gets a little cold (below 75) it coils alot.

^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   The cortland clear line is my go-to line.  I wish it coiled less in cooler weather though.  You Florida Boys should like it though.   The sink rate is great for 4-6' deep flats and I like the way it casts.   I use it up here in NC now, even in the winter, I just have to stretch it out every once in awhile or I start saying bad words. . . . 

• 4 weeks later...

I have used Monic, Airflo and Cortland clear floating lines.

Monic- I was liking it until the line broke about half way through the head while casting and they wouldn't warranty it.

Cortland liquid crystal full clear - Shoots better than almost any line out there "when it's clean".  The when its clean is the real issue it needs to be cleaned very regularly to maintain its shootability.  It gets grabby when it starts to get dirty.  It also coils a lot, but oddly enough if you just keep casting most of the times the coils come untangled as you are casting and don't knot.

Airflo clear tip - I am not a giant fan of how large the lines are in diameter, and they do knot up a bit easier than the cortland, but they do not get dirty like the cortland and need continual care.

So far I haven't found the perfect clear floating line.  From talking with Cortland and Airflo reps I am not sure we ever will until technology gets better.

Archived