New (Bluetooth) IPILOT

johnd

A few observations.  Have 4? Year old 24v Ipilot  on my Hewes. Love the spot lock feature, used to where buttons are on remote. Probably more hours on it then my Suzuki.   Installed new IPilot last week on new boat and yesterday had a few hours to “learn”. 

The new TM has a spring assist to deploy & retrieve. It is a nice feature, easier to retrieve.  The new TM has an on-off button. One more thing to remember to turn off...I’ll give this a negative.  Remote is beefier, uses 3 triple A batteries vs. the problematic watch battery. That’s should be a plus. Feels good in the hand, works great, but buttons in different location so took (will take) a while getting used to.  New TM requires a head sensor. Had to locate an out of the way location, hard wired to power. Apparently it’s fuction is to improve spot lock.  My impression the spot lock is far more accurate.  A bit of wind and current yesterday and it held the bow..less wondering.  Giving this a plus.  I did not try “jog” or build track functions. Steering seemed a bit more sensitive, not sure plus or minus..

cost about $300 more than my last one. Plus on the spring assist, plus for new battery design, minus for on-off switch, plus for improved spot lock.

It seems crazy for a saltwater boat but if you add the foot control, it’s another game changer. No need to thumb around a handheld while you are fighting a fish. I used mine in LA in some crazy current and big ship wakes and in the glades fighting current and wind. Worked great. 

I'm very happy with my new Terrova. The lift assist makes raising it a one hand deal. I have not yet installed the heading sensor. My understanding is it's only used for the "Jog" function, something I have not had before and don't seem to have much need for so far. Perhaps I will get around to mounting and wiring that sensor one day. I also bought the "Micro Remote". It's sooo much smaller and easier to use. 

I really don't have a dislike to speak of. It's quiet, strong, and will do things that help me catch fish.....and that's why I bought it.  :)

IMG_1480.JPG

The jog feature works good. It will make subtle movements in the direction you command. I used it in the glades toease in on a pod of bait. With my foot while both hands holding the net. 

I finally learned how to do the track function at my local ramp. There is a large marina that has a long no wake zone. Several turns to get to the main lake. I hate having to make that trek so last time out i thought i would try to figure out the track feature so I ran the channel withthe ipilot and recorded to the end of the no wake. Upon return, i shut the main engine down and fired up the ipilot and set it to return on the track set. It ran the exact line while I got everything in the boat put back in hatches and locked up. Next time to the lake, I can put boat in the water, follow the original track and get everything out and rigged while getting to the main lake. 

Of course it will also let me fish my favorite banks and points without me having to man the TM. 

They hit a homerun with this new ipilot. Just wish they had an internal ducer on the riptide models so the bow mounted finder can pickup structure at the bow. 

Archived