Re Powering 90HP YamahaFS with 115HPYama FS

Fishician

I have a question. I am going to re power my 2015  16 ft Redfisher with a 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke. I currently have it powered with a Yamaha 90HP FS. How much draft can I expect to lose with everything else being equal. The new motor will be 24 lbs heavier, And how much of a drop off in MPG? Thanks so much for your input

1 hour ago, Fishician said:

I have a question. I am going to re power my 2015  16 ft Redfisher with a 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke. I currently have it powered with a Yamaha 90HP FS. How much draft can I expect to lose with everything else being equal. The new motor will be 24 lbs heavier, And how much of a drop off in MPG? Thanks so much for your input

Your gas mileage may not drop because you can run the same speed at a lot lower RPM with the larger HP motor . I would think you could cruise at about 32 MPH at about 3800 RPM with the SHO 115 . If you near the Tampa Florida area Family Boating does repower jobs and may be worth checking out. 

Thanks for your response. My current 90  HP Yamaha is a 2015 a 4 cylinder. It only has 60 hrs on it but there has been a problem with the Check Engine light registering a #37 fault.

It has been in the shop for this problem 4 times in less than 3 years. I simply can not trust it on a trip to Flamingo. New 90 four strokes are nowhere to be found, but 115's are more readily available and thus the decision is easier. My mechanic has been in touch with Yamaha and they admitted to a problem with #37.

Thanks again for your help

6 hours ago, Fishician said:

I have a 2017 Redfisher 16 with a Yamaha 115 SHO.  What Dabear said is spot-on.  Like he said, the 115 doesn't have to work as hard for the same speed so the MPG is probably the same or better.  My motor gets 7.4 MPG at a 3800 RPM cruise.  The propeller you run with is very important.  I can't say for sure what the difference in draft will be after installing a 115 FS, but I doubt it would be very much since the Redfisher has such a wide beam.  Just some free advice you might consider, for the best performance and handling: I suggest adding wedges between the motor and transom for extra negative trim when needed, to help with stability, hole-shot and propeller grip - like these: http://thmarine.com/cmc-transom-wedges-2-degree
Also, if you do not currently have trim tabs, you will want them for additional ride control when you install a 115 FS on your boat.  If I was looking to buy trim tabs today, I would buy Bennett BOLT Electric Tabs.  Just some suggestions and opinion of course.  These extras cost a little more but it's money well spent.

Archived