New or Aftermarket Trim Motor

trf97

I need a new trim motor for my 90 Yamaha 2 stroke. A new Yamaha is around $320, where an aftermarket one is around $90ish. After reading a lot of reviews on the aftermarket ones...they rust fairly quickly and fail somewhat often. So i think it’s worth getting the Yamaha one since this one lasted 18 years but wanted to get all of the experts opinions on here. 

20 minutes ago, mulligan said:

I have an Arco trim motor on mine.  To be honest I think it is better built than the Yamaha motor.  The housing on mine is that hard plastic so no problem with corrosion and just seems more stout.  As a plus it is made in the US.

X2 great solid replacement motor  

Stay away from the DB electric one. Had that one first. Shoulda never put it on based on how cheap it felt but did. The screws immediately rusted after first dunking so took it off and sent it back. 

I replaced one on my Merc like Mr. Bamaskeet, my suggestion if you go this direction is to clean it well before install and spray many coats of marine clear coat on it. I had a can of Yamaha brand my neighbor gave me. I lightly sanded before between coats, I did five coats. Lasted quite well. Good luck.

Did a Yamaha 90 2smoke recently.

Bought the aftermarket Arco. Its good quality, quieter and maybe a bit faster. BUT definitely paint it.

I scuffed it up with scotch pad, wiped with acetone, and put several coats of Appliance Epoxy spray paint on it. Paint right over the 2 bolts on the top of the motor. Appliance Epoxy is cheap and easy to spray, with super hard finish... great stuff. Zero sighs of rust when I sold it a year+ later.  A friend did the same Arco, no paint on his, and surface rust started in a few months.

PS - It was an easy job on the 90. Don't have to remove the motor.

There's a few youtube videos showing how to do it by just loosening the bracket - pivot out the trim assembly ever so slightly - just enough to get to that bolt in the back corner of the rusted trim motor... super easy. Tip when putting the new motor on, put the bolt in the hole on the motor with your 6" extension attached... and lower it down as one. much easier than trying to put that bolt in after its in place.

Archived