BG vs Nasci

rubble

I need to pick up a couple more spinning reels for inshore and freshwater.  Want to stay at that $100.00 cap.  I actually have one of each and like both of them.  They are both very smooth.  BG is a little heavier.  I've been told that both are sealed and told that neither are sealed.  They are both listed as saltwater reels.  Have read that the BG gives you way more bang for the buck but there are issues with getting parts as everything has to come from Daiwa which means it's coming here on the boat when ordered. Can't just run it to the local repair guy and get it repaired.  

Just looking for thoughts from those who have used them.  Which one holds up the best and has had the fewest issues?  Which one is easiest to get repaired or cleaned up should it need it?  I have both only because when I went to purchase a Nasci last year at Christmas time, they were sold out and the next best thing for the money that Sunshine Ace recommended was the BG.  Did the same thing this year and exact same thing happened but I ended up splurging and getting the Stradic FK which is really nice but I need 2 reels and want to keep within the $100/reel range.  

I like them both, but tend to lean more to the BG.  I like the 3000 size and all of the Shimano reels in this size rub my knuckles making my hand very sore by days end.  It is something about the bend in the reel where it attaches to the rod.  I don't get it in 4000 size.

35 minutes ago, dabear said:

Both entry level salt water spinning reels . Diawa Black and Gold spin reel and Nasci is a shimano spinning real . 

One of the guides here in Miami used the DIAWA BG'S for his bonefish clients.....I bought a couple for yellow tailing...and I have them on my "chunk" rods for Choko...they are a workhorse....the smaller one is fine for nearshore.....they do "clunk" a bit...but, worth the $$$

I have also gone to 2 Penn Battles for my Popp'n cork rods...so far so good....the only thing is you have to keep them a bit "lean" on the spool or you get wind knots...but, I have not had the problem as I always hand close the bail....seems to work.....they have stopped some fairly nice size reds and snook.

DC

I've thought about the Penns but they are a bit on the heavy side.  Since I already have fairly new BG and Nasci, thought I'd stick with those.  I know a guide in Boca Grande that uses the Nasci 3000s on his popping cork rigs.  He seems to like them really well and he works them over pretty good.  

I have both. Tend to use the BG for lite reef fishing as it is a little heavier. Really like the Nasci 4000 for inshore fishing. It is smooth and has plenty of drag for snook and reds. It’s also lighter than the BG if you plan to cast all day. You can’t go wrong with either reel for $100. 

I have a couple of Nasci 3000's on Falcon 7' spinning rods and they work great. I'm using Fins 12 lb spectra line and have no wind knot problems with 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig heads throwing DOA's. Formerly I used all Stratics...but they have went too pricey without any better quality. I also have a couple of Shimano Sahara's and Sedonnas....ranging from 2500 to 4000's , they all work fine if you maintain them periodically. You can get about 3 or 4 seasons of good use before the bearings start giving problems....I do always rinse after every trip, and oil the spin shaft. About twice a year I remove the side plate and apply oil to gears. The Nasci's were a gift...I think they are slightly higher priced than Sahara's....but, they are very very smooth. JMHO.....

Archived