Hewes 16' Bonefisher Repower

fin-a-key

I have a 1997 16' Bonefisher that I'm looking to repower. It currently has a 97 Yamaha 2 stroke that weighs 256lbs. I wanted to install a 90 Suzuki but the weight is 87lbs. more and the 70hp weights the same so I'm thinking about lowering the horsepower to 60. I'm looking for input from anyone who may have the same Hewes with a 60hp motor of any kind and if so does the 60 push the skiff with 3 people aboard. I'm a guide in the lower Florida keys so I'm typically poling the shallowest of waters with a couple of customers.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Well one thing that will happen is your fuel usage will drop in half with the 90 Zuke. :)  Those old 2S Yamis love gas, I know mine did!! What you can do is go buy a bag(s) of concrete, sand, whatever that weighs roughly 87#,  to say  up to 100# and place just in front of the engine, maybe in the splash well, centered between the polling platform and see how that affects your boat. After a few trips in the same water you now go to will give you a fair idea what a heavier engine would do.

What DonV said to try is a great idea.  Just Fyi:  Yamaha just came out with a V MAX SHO 90 that has the same displacement as the SHO 115 but is 24 LBS lighter.  The Suzuki 90 is 1502cc and weighs 343 LBS.  The Yamaha SHO 90 is 1832cc and weighs 353 LBS.  If the decision was made to go with a 4-stroke 90 and the additional weight was acceptable, I would venture to say that the Yamaha SHO 90 would be worth the extra 10 LBS to get the additional torque gained from the larger displacement.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/utility/news/product-news/yamaha-marine-expands-v-max-sho®-family-again-with

11 minutes ago, conocean said:

A few years back I remember somebody posting about them repowering their mid-90's bonefisher with a 90hp E-tec and they absolutely loved it. 

I like the E-tec 90 idea too.  1295cc and 320 LBS.  The 10 year warranty option going on right now isn't half-bad either.

The Yamaha SHO 90 will blow it away in torque and speed though.  Just sayin' :D

2 minutes ago, geeviam said:

The Yamaha SHO 90 will blow it away in torque and speed though.  Just sayin' :D

That will likely be my repower option. The SHO 115's had plenty of bugs to work out when they were introduced and I would anticipate the same for the SHO 90's so hopefully that will all shake out when I'm ready in 2020. 

7 hours ago, conocean said:

That will likely be my repower option. The SHO 115's had plenty of bugs to work out when they were introduced and I would anticipate the same for the SHO 90's so hopefully that will all shake out when I'm ready in 2020. 

2020?? Shoot I can't even think that far in advance on my best day!! :) If you went the 90 Etec route right now you would still have 8 years of warranty left. From personal experience you are going to really have a hard time finding a 4S that will out power an Etec of equal rated HP, especially the HO series.. 

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/engines/e-tec/75-hp-115-ho.html#

Archived